Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

insurance claim question

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance claim question

hey guys, came out of a restaurant and saw my rear licence plate in the ground.
I have a jk 4 door ,, the rear pannel that hold the light and the plate is crushed ,plate holder gone,, also the side pannel where the gas cap it , is crushed also.

I made the claim and they supouse to inspect it next thursday and right me a check.

question is,, are they supouse to pay me for NEW pannels ,installation, and paint.?

or they pay for body work like bondo etc. ?

can I go to the dealer and get an estimate for replacement of parts and ask the insurance to honor that?

this is my first claim so im totaly unfamiliar.

thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laws differ between states, and it also depends on your coverage. Generally insurance policies are for original equipment replacement.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

it depends. sometimes a panel maybe to far to be repaired. If it is repairable then they will bondo and paint it. If the body shop does the estimate you can ask them about it.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alot depends on the insurance co. What co. do you deal with? You will ahve to pay the deductable unless you know who hit you. That sucks.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 85fr16
Alot depends on the insurance co. What co. do you deal with? You will ahve to pay the deductable unless you know who hit you. That sucks.

reading a website of a lawyer on insurance repairs ,say in texas you have the right to demand original manufacturer parts,

my insurance is allstate and my deductible is 300 bucks .

Old 11-09-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

here is a picture,,
Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default insurance answers

gosh, sorry to hear about your bad luck. This situation is considered a ''collision'' by the insurance companies. Even though you were nowhere near your jeep, something ''collided'' with it and collision deductibles will probably apply. In your policy fine print, which you agreed to when when you signed the insurance application, can be found the stipulation that the insurance company can repair your vehicle in the most cost effective way. This does not relieve them of repairing the vehicle responsibly, but they are not obligated to replace any part that becomes damaged, if it can be reasonably repaired. There is a prevailing myth in this country concerning "Bondo" ( a trade name for plastic body filler that has become the common name for ALL brands). Body filler in and of itself is not defective, it's actually quite an excellent product. When problems with body filler arise it is usually because of improper metal preparation or improper filler application. In many cases the worst thing that can be done to a vehicle is to cut out a panel and replace it rather than repair it. In very many cases the replacement panel cannot be completely replaced because of factory weld placement or hidden welding covered by undamaged panels. In these cases the panel must be cut and sectioned, and then the NEW panel has filler in it, often times more than the REPAIRED panel would have had. A good repair shop can do an excellent repair on most damaged panels, and many insurance company ''pro shops'' will back their repair with a lifetime guarantee. I've been in the business for 35 years- this is strait poop.... Best of Luck!!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

those panels cant be repaired, so they will be replaced
Old 11-09-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You posted the photo while I was hunting and pecking my post.... You definately got clobbered, maybe by a pickup truck, because of the height. I believe you will have some new panels written on this damage...
Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

yeah ,,and what ever it was,,it was white!! I have some paint there in my roof rack post and fender flare.

Quick Reply: insurance claim question