Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Insurance....

Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance....

OK, if this doesn't show I'm a newbie nothing will.

I am sitting here looking at the lift that gets put on tomorrow and it got me to thinking. Do I need to inform my insurance company I have modified the Jeep from it's original suspension? Will a lift cause a problem with coverage if there is ever an accident?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

if your lift is installed right, then no. I could see if your lift was done wrong and you knew it but drove with it some lawyer would take that and run if he/she knew.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

i thought i saw on the progressive *or some company's web site* that they will not insure ya if you have a lift of 4" or greater??? it was a while ago, so idk for sure
Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call you agent. Most likely it will NOT be covered under your policy even if you notify them. End result: If it gets damaged in a wreck they will only pay for the cost of items damaged at oe prices. If however you are a claimant against some elses insurance policy than everything is covered.
Does that make sense?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaltChief
OK, if this doesn't show I'm a newbie nothing will.

I am sitting here looking at the lift that gets put on tomorrow and it got me to thinking. Do I need to inform my insurance company I have modified the Jeep from it's original suspension? Will a lift cause a problem with coverage if there is ever an accident?
No you do not.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Shouldn't be a big deal, but if you are doing more than just a lift, you may need to make sure you have coverage for aftermarket parts & equipment.
For only a few bucks a month I have up to 5k extra for add-ons.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Call you agent. Most likely it will NOT be covered under your policy even if you notify them. End result: If it gets damaged in a wreck they will only pay for the cost of items damaged at oe prices. If however you are a claimant against some elses insurance policy than everything is covered.
Does that make sense?
With the prices that the dealers charge for OE parts he could buy two lifts for the price of replacement factory parts. I never notify them of anything, you start asking questions and they start adding charges.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on your insurance company and and policy.
My policy is such that I get replacement cost on any aftermarket components.
I keep receipts and have pictures on file of the components used on the build-up. For example, if the 94XJ would take damage in the front bumper, I would get replacement cost for the ARB bumper, PIAA aux lights and WARN 8000X, if they were destroyed, as well as any stock components that require repair. If the 07 JK Unlimited were to take damage up front, the AEV bumper and PIAA lights would be covered at replacement cost, plus labor for install. My policy covers both on and off road. I've had the policy from day one, and happy to say I've never had to use it for repair/replacement.
In addition, my coverage is 500K/250K. I do have limited Tort.
You young'ins out there would not believe the cost!!!
If I'm towing the jetboat, that is covered also. Once the boat is un-hitched, it rides under my homeowners policy. (same company).

Quick Reply: Insurance....