Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Insurance$$$$

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that this subject came up today.

My wife was talking with a friend of hers yesterday about our Jeepin. The friend asked if we were covered if the Jeep rolled while we were 4x4ing.

She called our insurance carrier, Safeco, and the guy said yes..but since they know were 4x4ing it, they weren't gonna renew our policy for the Jeep. Said we had till the end of this term to find new insurance for it.

We've been with Safeco 10 years and have 4 vehicles, a travel trailer and our house insured by them. Jana said if we gotta move the Jeep, were taking everything and the guy said see ya (in a nicer way).

Doesnt make sense to me but....F#*k Safeco!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my geico insurance just renewed itself and dropped down to $1200 for 6 months, or $2400 a year (for those that can't do math ). by the end of the year it'll probably drop another good chunk because my record will be crystal clear and i'll finally get my full license. oh, and thats with 2 trucks, yay, i saved $78.50 from the "multicar discount" but have to pay ~$120 extra for the 2nd truck...

Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6
I wish I had cheap ins. I was into street racing when I got my liscense, I was up to 9 liscense points and 21 ins. points. Now I just have 5 ins. points. I pay $2600/ year full coverage. That's actually cheap for me!! I have some bootleg company-Mercury Insurance.
been down that path before... 5 tickets in one year. and that was the first year of the 6 i've been driving, ugh. when you are clocked at 132 in a 55... you get in trouble. luckly that was long enough ago that its almost all gone.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benmar2000
But what gets me is that your credit score effects your rate on your car insurance.. Why is that.. I have a great credit score, but that shouldn't have an impact on my rate.. My driving record should.. Just one of those things that is a pet peeve of mine..
That always pissed me off. I have good credit so maybe it shouldn't bother me but it does. I really don't like how many companies dig into my credit. But, to their excuse and I bug every company that wants to run my credit, they say it helps determine who is more likely to have a claim especially those that might get in trouble and try insurance fraud.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepCacher
...She called our insurance carrier, Safeco, and the guy said yes..but since they know were 4x4ing it, they weren't gonna renew our policy for the Jeep. Said we had till the end of this term to find new insurance for it. ...
That sucks, but better to know now their skeezy ways then later. It makes me think that they were trying to dump people. I don't know exactly how it works, but insurance companies seem to want to spread their risk. I know I couldn't get with an insurance company once for homeowner's insurance, because they had too many policies in the area.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine dropped $20 from a less expensive pickup with the small V8. So, the insurance company did not hit me with the "toy tax".
Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call around different agents. They'll take your license number and car info and get back to you with baseline quotes. IT's the easiest way. Just make sure to shop around, and know what you're getting into.

Me:

Taxachusetts, right on i95/128 (A "high-risk" area)
Driving years: 5.5 years
At fault accidents: 0

Claims: 2 (1 where I found my truck was clocked... and i mean clocked... in a parking lot, and a second where I was rear ended on the highway)

Coverage: Full

Citations: 0 (1 traffic warning for busting through a red light, and 2 non-traffic offense warnings)

Cost: $180 a month

Policy terms: Full coverage, AAA discount, $500 deductible
Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Safeco is ridiculous.

I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with them. The lady tells me they wanna move the Jeep to a OHV policy and they won't cover it under a regular policy. I tell her it's not an OHV, I drive it on streets more than on trails and it's a registered street legal vehicle. She says it dont matter, they aint gonna cover it. I asked if I'm covered on the street if they move to an OHV policy and she says nope. I tell her she's not comprehending the whole Jeep thing...theres thousands of Jeeps and other vehicles that go on trails that are street legal and insured. She puts me on hold and consults with a few people and now they wanna see pics of my Jeep before they decide.

Last edited by JeepCacher; 01-25-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

25. Not married. 889.00/year full coverage.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

30 and married.
We have the 2 door JK and a 01' Subaru Forester on the policy.
$73 a month for full coverage on both vehicles with Progressive.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

If you are military, or have a parent who is military (depending on your age) go with USAA. As mentioned earlier, my rates won't be a good comparison, I've got a Bronco, Vette, and the JK on there.

Quick Reply: Insurance$$$$