Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Installed tranny cooler, have question!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed tranny cooler, have question!

Now that I have a tranny cooler installed, is it still necessary to put it i'n 4 low when going slow on trails and turn o/d off? Or am I good to go now and not have to worry about over heating?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default It just depends!

Depends on the trails, common sense should tell you "hey you've got your foot in it and you're not going nowhere" . If the trail requires that you move at a snails pace then use low range, it's much easier on the engine and transmission.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think ill get a temp gauge for peace of mind to not have to guess if it may or may not be getting hot
Old 05-07-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by greenenvey
I think ill get a temp gauge for peace of mind to not have to guess if it may or may not be getting hot
Good idea.
I have a transmission temp gauge. It tells me enough that I haven't needed an aux cooler yet (still gonna get one, though).
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah a cooler plus guage is where the smart money's at. I'm halfway there....
Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any sujestions on what gauge to buy? I want something that I can install i'n the line and not the pan.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 AM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by greenenvey
Now that I have a tranny cooler installed, is it still necessary to put it i'n 4 low when going slow on trails and turn o/d off? Or am I good to go now and not have to worry about over heating?
Don't you want it in 4low for the extra power anyway? Don't know what trails you run on, but I put it in 4low at the trailhead and leave it there.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfr

Don't you want it in 4low for the extra power anyway? Don't know what trails you run on, but I put it in 4low at the trailhead and leave it there.
Alot of the stuff we do around here is just to fast for 4 lo , don't get me wrong I know when and were to use 4 lo I've been off roarding with my families jeep and my jeeps all my life and have never had a tranny get hot. But then again this is the only vehicle that I've ever owned or rode i'n with the overheating problem
Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I just ordered a. B&m tranny gauge!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the small B&M cooler and an Aeroforce gauge.

I crawl in 4 lo in the Rockies all day. We routinely go up to the top of 12,000 foot mountains. Our tranny never overheats. It very rarely goes over 200 degrees. At 240 you get fluid degradation that is permanent to the fluid. The only mitigating possibility is the fact that it is rarely over 70 degrees in the high country. If you crawl around where its 90 or 100 degrees you should get the bigger B&M cooler.

Get an aeroforce gauge. Then you pick up all kinds of monitoring and install is as easy as mounting and plugging into the obd port.

Quick Reply: Installed tranny cooler, have question!