Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Input regarding a programmer......

Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Input regarding a programmer......

Those of you with the Hypertec or SUperchips programmer. How satisfied are you? Is it worth what you spent? Good support? I'm thinking about maybe trying one out. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Those of you with the Hypertec or SUperchips programmer. How satisfied are you? Is it worth what you spent? Good support? I'm thinking about maybe trying one out. Thanks.
Redneck,

I am very happy with mine. When I bought my Jeep I noticed how the Jeep felt sluggish whenever trying to accelerate, and it was always hunting for gears(dropping outta OD). The highway driving at interstate speeds was starting to really depress me. I was regretting buying the Jeep.

After getting the superchips all that changed. Whatever they did it is worth it. The accelerator lag is gone. Press it and it goes, no waiting 5 seconds. And the shifting is soo much better. I drives like it should now.

Oh as someone else mentioned in another post, the accelerator change works the same when you let off. As soon as you let off the skinny you can feel the engine slow immediately, good for engine braking.

As far as support, I have been happy. I have emailed SC and gotten a slow response(1 week to answer my question), but they did respond. It is much faster to call them.

I really like the SC, as when I bought mine(early) it did not have all the parameters as promised. I like the free upgradeability, as they have made updates and included the long sought TPMS feature(although not what people wanted).

Overall I am totally satisfied with the money spent, support, and functionality.

Last edited by MoridinTX; 08-12-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to echo Moridin's statements here and say I also love my Flashpaq. I got an excellent deal on it from Dave @ Northridge when he ran the sale a little while back.

Pros:

Acceleration is IMMEDIATE. The pedal now feels more "firm" and less "spungy". It's basically linked to sharper throttle response.

Ease of use. The things almost foolproof. I had absolutely no problem figuring out how to work it.

Updateability. The USB updating option is a must these days. It's the same reason I went with the AllGIG over the Lockpick. Software changes. You need a device that can be updated to take advantage of these updates and be corrected for glitches. The USB feature gives you that option.

Works as advertised. All the features including TPMS (it showed on mine recently) work. I've not messed with the advanced features yet as I'm still learning about my JK but I know that when I upgrade to better gears, an intake, and exhaust later that this device WILL support it.

Cons:

4WH Lockers. The device has to be connected in order to take advantage of this feature. This was not documented on thier site per my recollection.

USB Update Flakey. I had to try the EZ Update software about 3 times to get it to recognize my unit. This was on a Windows XP machine. That might be a specific problem with my computer/unit.

Flash time. It does take a while to flash the JK's firmware with the new settings, about 10 min in total. Compared to the ProCal that's an eternity. But then again, it's updating many times many settings more than the ProCal does.

Final Thoughts:

I had done quite a bit of reading on this thing before I bought it. JPop's thread on the subject was extremely informative and he's done the JK community a great service by answering as many questions as he has. Having read so many disappointing threads about the Hypertech and Jet chips I was leary of buying this and almost got the ProCal instead. I'm so glad I bought it. It WORKS, is easy to use, and has excellent support. I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it...I had my doubts about the Superchips until I bought it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I think you already know how I feel.....
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

I run the Hypertech and very happy with it. Its not like getting 2 more cylinders, but you notice it in the mid band when it doesn't bog down as much. Considering you cant do a whole lot with the 3.8 its about the best bang for the buck. I have no experience with superchips but will recomend the Hypertech to anyone. Just be realistic in your expectations.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

I've been very impressed with the Superchip Rob. I don't find the update time to be very long. I can set the Crawler tuning for the trail in about the same time as it takes me to air down. And resetting to a road tuning takes much less time than airing back up.

Still can't figure why you'd want to run a locker in four high, but the benefits of running this far outweigh something like not being able to do that.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would this benefit those of us who are still stock or should I wait till I lift?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Powertrain wise I'm totally bone stock. No intake, headers, or exhaust upgrades on factory 32" tires and I say yes. It was worth the upgrade.

Quick Reply: Input regarding a programmer......