Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

increase JK cargo capacity

Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless your vehicle of choice during the End of Days can float or fly your pretty much fkd. The way the weather has been the last 5 yrs with the tsunami an earthquakes dont think there will b much chance to pack shit let alone survive. Arizona just got a foot of snow last week! Thats fkd! Gonna go be a beach bum an enjoy my last 2 years on the planet.. Lol

Last edited by EarlyJk; 01-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go rent the documentary called "Collapse" and you will get one view of the end of the world...at least as we know it.

In a nutshell.....the premise is that basically our world and virtually everything in it revolves around oil. Virtually everything we eat, buy, use, need etc. to live today is either made directly from oil, a direct oil derivative, or requires the energy of oil. We can't feed ourselves without oil as all fertilizers, pesticides, etc are all oil based.

As soon as world oil reserves run out, or oil becomes too expensive to support continued development....the entire world economy will completely collapse making the recent "recession" look like a "glitch".

If you are not in a position to grow your own food in a sustainable manner by the time that happens, ugly things will happen as people begin to starve.

It's an interesting watch....
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's also an EXCELLENT video series on youtube called 'crash course' that details that possibilty, along with several others.. and it does so complete with evidence and facts.. pretty interesting stuff.. and difficult to refute.

I'll check out that movie.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
up front I'll let you know that I'm not looking to tow 7,000 pounds, or change the official GVWR, or anything crazy like that. I've also done some searches, and couldn't find a thread on what I'm looking for..

Part of the consideration for my purchasing a Jeep was it being a capable G.O.O.D. vehicle.. meaning that if need be, I could pack all of our most important belongings onto the Jeep, and take off, posibly taking some off road routes along the way out of town...

Things like tools, and ammo are heavy, and would definately be on board. I'm planning adding a roof rack for even more capacity.

So.. now with modivation established..

What is it exactly that makes the JK8 a true one ton jeep? Does it have a different frame? or is it simply shocks, springs, and axles?

I guess to be very specific... I have an 07 4dr rubicon. What mods would be required to give it at least a 3/4 ton capacity? or is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

-Ray
Regardless of your motivation, this link explains the difference, hxxp://jalopnik.com/5248496/aev-j8-m...orbidden-fruit. Leaf sprung rear Dana 60, reinforced frame, and a diesel engine for torque to carry that much weight and/or pull it.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-02-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
There's also an EXCELLENT video series on youtube called 'crash course' that details that possibilty, along with several others.. and it does so complete with evidence and facts.. pretty interesting stuff.. and difficult to refute.

I'll check out that movie.
just watched all the episodes the past few hours good watch
Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rafi
just watched all the episodes the past few hours good watch
Heh! Sweet! not many people can just sit down and watch it all at once.. my hat is off to you my friend.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM
him
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a prepper/take a different spin on the whole bug out thing (roads are dangerous and uncertain at the best of times) but...

You can't get where you want to go and keep your jeep working as a jeep. Everything's a compromise and changing the compromise to get real cargo capacity takes away from the "heavier than a motorcycle, lighter than a truck" nature of a jeep. The closest you will come is adding air spring assists to dynamically bump the springs when you load up, and even that is limited.

If you want a truck, find yourself two surplus M35s ("deuce and a half" with multi-fuel diesel engines). 5000lbs cargo capacity off road (10,000lbs on), can go most places you'll take a jeep in an emergency and some a jeep won't reach, will run on diesel, Jet A, home heating oil, or even gasoline + oil mixed. Buy two because "two is one and one is none". The pair should set you back less than a stripped 2dr JK. Bolt on a 400g fuel cell full of diesel and you'll have a 4000 mile off road (maybe 5500 highway) range with 2200lbs of cargo capacity (7200lbs if you stick to pavement) left over for your TV.

However, if you don't need a truck you're a lot better off with a smaller and more fuel efficient vehicle.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still bizarre...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Still bizarre...
One nice thing about the internet is how it exposes you to people with different values and circumstances. It's up to you to take meaning from it of course.

Here's a pic of what I was talking about:

Street legal and can be driven with a standard driver's license in most states. $8500 from this site w w w.easternsurplus.net/567.html

Find yourself a pair of those and you're good to go for not much $$$$$ compared to what you are getting. Spend another $10K or so outfitting them (fuel, fuel storage, tools/generator, 24v freezer/fridges, tents, etc) and when the yellowstone caldera blows you'll be ready to roll.

Plus they are handy utility vehicles with undeniable panache and... c'mon, 6 wheel drive!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I carried my 55" LED 3D TV home in this guy. Can't think of anything else besides the TV that I would want to take with me in an evacuation emergency circumstance.

I'm imagining if Wal-Mart is closed due to said emergency, then electricity is probably turned off....which means you aren't going to be able to get any fuel out of the fuel pumps.....I'm thinking maybe you might want to get one of those electric motors in your Jeep with some solar panels to keep her going. If food is hard to come by....then fuel is going to be 10 times harder to come by.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: increase JK cargo capacity