Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

increase JK cargo capacity

Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a bizarre thread..
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrangler07
This is a bizarre thread..
Not bizarre, not that i am one of them but there are a good amount of people that believe in Dec21 2012. An with the way the world has been goin (weather, economic collapse) there are more an more people buying in. Some people find comfort in preperation.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
Not bizarre, not that i am one of them but there are a good amount of people that believe in Dec21 2012. An with the way the world has been goin (weather, economic collapse) there are more an more people buying in. Some people find comfort in preperation.
like i said, if the world is ending you should be praying not loading the jeep.

My father-in law is freeking out about the same stuff (he is an accountant and an economist) He is like i gotta get an AR-15 and some ammo and store up on some stuff. I keep telling him to relax, if the world collapses you probably wont be able to do anything about it except for protect your family and drive towards me (who hopefully with my military status can get my family on base)

plus i can start and fly an Apache helicopter , would suck to patrol the skys of Houston or something...

Last edited by gijeep; 01-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

My .02

Pack minimally. Anything you wouldn't use on a extended camping trip, ditch it. If it's a GOD situation, you want that box truck for your belongings. Where in the woods is that TV going to help you?

My pack can last me 2 weeks and still I'd be comfortable. That's just what I can carry on my back.

So I would recommend you figure put exactly what you want and what's realistic.

My jeep is outfitted with Air Lift 1,000# air bags. That'll solve the sag issue and give you a decent trail capability. No rock crawling because your off camber weight is out of whack. But if it's a GOOD situation, unless you're Bear Grylls and do everything that's NOT recommended in a survival situation, you won't be doing that. Gobi rack, small lift, HD springs, 33" KM2's (could go 35 if you regear) and you'd be set. Could upgrade to the big brake setup and just get better pads. However, you need to solve your luggage situation first.

What will you REALLY be taking with you? Unless you're taking an armory, your guns and ammo won't weigh more than 100#'s at most. Food and water will be the majority of your weight.

My Jeep will haul an 8 man cabin tent, stove, 4 chairs, table, food, clothes, 4 mountain bikes and 4 people for a week or two. That still leaves me with room to spare especially since we can't pack light since we have to double everything we carry. With a roof rack I could probably pack us for a month in a pinch. If they packed like me, it'd last a year!

Again, it's going to come down to packing.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

I also forgot... where the fuk are you going to get gas on your end of the world adventure? i mean zombies hang out as gas stations so will everyone else looking to just take your junk
Old 01-02-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gijeep
I also forgot... where the fuk are you going to get gas on your end of the world adventure? i mean zombies hang out as gas stations so will everyone else looking to just take your junk
Lol. Hes got 350 miles to get somewhere set up his bedroom set to make camp. Then he can live off the land using his out of gas JK for a hut.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heheh Ok.. I guess we'll keep going on the 'why' and not the 'how'..

EarlyJK; Yes... What you're saying is totally true... and can really be covered with a couple bug out bags.. they should be packed, and in place 1st thing. This is what you grab if you have to abandon the vehicle, or leave before packing is complete.

5 years from now, will the lighlty packed supplies (clothing, survival tools, ammo, etc.) still be in working order, and not expended?

if you're really thinking this thru, you would realize that you can barely go camping with a quarter ton of cargo.. and it lasts about a week.

What if you're actually moving.. never coming back... and it's winter? something like 60% of all small game dies thru the winter.. how much of the big game will be in high demand, and over hunted in this situation? (look at what happened to game in the depression) Edible veggies won't exactly be plentiful.. Your survival skills MAY keep you alive... but it will be tough.

You will want ALL of your medical supplies.. ALL of your food.. ALL fuel.. Tools, and batteries.. a generator if available... You will want your family heirlooms, and photos. etc.. As much of your clothing as you can carry.. By the time you're done, you'll be over capacity... and that's leaving some survival stuff behind.

Obvoiously the Laptop, and TV can stay for the looters.. but I'll be damned if I've leaving 'em my peanut butter, and shoes on purpose.

Sorry.. I didn't mean for this topic to become so hypothetical.. I know true one ton Jeeps exist.. The J8 for starters... I was really just wondering if it was possible to build one. Does the J8 have the exact same frame as the JK?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

one plus in this scenerio is that jeep owners usually are friends with other jeep owners.........and most jeep owners are outdoor types (well the ones who bought their jeeps as jeeps) and outdoor types own guns, fishing equipment, etc.

so..........you and your other jeep friends take the stuff you need from the people who have taken it from the regular people (the sheep of the world). Then your like Robin Hood. natural order.........the strong survive.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi

If I was going to seriously make a bug out vehicle, my base would be an old K5 Blazer. Put 14 bolt axles and a 454 big block in it (or keep the 350 just don't get the 305, it was useless.) You will be able to carry a lot of gear, four other people, and you can actually work on the motor yourself. Finding spare parts would be easy. It's shorter than a full-size short bed pickup and just a bit bigger than the JKU...big enough to sleep in if necessary.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heheh I have a place to go that's not too far out.. He's prepared. He has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank burried and stocked, along with everything needed to fight off a non-militerized force (including a Ferret with functional armorment).. and all the land needed to farm and live.. He IS living the fear. Which is cool by me.. means I don't have to.. but He hasn't stocked clothing for me, Food, medical, and many other supplies WILL be in short supply.

It will be a survival situation.. but not the kind you're thinking where everything should be backpackable..

Quick Reply: increase JK cargo capacity