Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

increase JK cargo capacity

Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default increase JK cargo capacity

up front I'll let you know that I'm not looking to tow 7,000 pounds, or change the official GVWR, or anything crazy like that. I've also done some searches, and couldn't find a thread on what I'm looking for..

Part of the consideration for my purchasing a Jeep was it being a capable G.O.O.D. vehicle.. meaning that if need be, I could pack all of our most important belongings onto the Jeep, and take off, posibly taking some off road routes along the way out of town...

Things like tools, and ammo are heavy, and would definately be on board. I'm planning adding a roof rack for even more capacity.

So.. now with modivation established..

What is it exactly that makes the JK8 a true one ton jeep? Does it have a different frame? or is it simply shocks, springs, and axles?

I guess to be very specific... I have an 07 4dr rubicon. What mods would be required to give it at least a 3/4 ton capacity? or is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

-Ray
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Hemi, stronger axles, stronger everything to do with the drive terrain, and a custom HD suspension....

but i will say the same thing i usually say to these types of proposals. what in gods name do you think is going to happen in joplin, mo that you are going to need to pack your most importaint belongings (which to me is just my family) and your ammo and "bug-out" into the woods.

Zombies? not likely
foreign intruders? why would the come to MO?? nothing importaint here
end of the world? i think you need to worry about praying instead of packing your Jeep at this point.

all jokes aside, if you wanted that much towing capacity you should have got another vehicle...

Last edited by gijeep; 01-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

The J8 has leaf springs in the back. Like the other poster said, probably the wrong base vehicle for hauling all your end of the world gear. I had an old suburban that would have been great for that.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

hemi
axles-at least a new rear
better brakes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
hemi
axles-at least a new rear
better brakes
what would he need better brakes for? he isnt going to stop when the end of the world comes, lol
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL economic collapse knows no home.. and I'm afaid that we've reached a point and critcal mass where any number of things could cause it... any epidemic.. some energy shortages.. collapse of the dollar.. The earths population will double in the next 50 years.. energy consuption will more than double. hospitals are already at capacity. and look at the money creation over the last few years.. something WILL happen.. the question is when.

As soon as trucks stop arriving at walmart, you'll have about 3 days before your fighting off looters. When people get desperate for food, they become savage. History has proven this.

That said.. This is something that I consider... not something that dictates my life style.. I could use the higher capacity for daily activities in my line of work.

I don't think a suburban would be able to cross ditches.. much less some of the likely terrain in a GOOD situation. I own a 12,500 GVRW isuzu box truck if I JUST wanted capacity.. I have it. I want capability.. and the Jeep has it.. but I need to retain that at higher weight levels... Also... I will not be towing.. I already mentioned that.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

i love you
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I understand correctly..

The curb weight of my jeep should be around 4,130lb

The Dana 44 axles in it should be rated for 3,300lb (each) (standard on rubi.. right?)

and a one ton truck typically has a CARGO capacity of 2,000 lb

So, if I assumed that load was equally distributed across the two axles (seems impossible..) I would have almost 2,500 lb of cargo capacity (on the axles).. of course I couldn't see that while off roading.. seems like hopping on and off of rocks with a load would greatly challange that math..

I think a D60 has almost a 5,000lb capacity.. right? and most of the weight would be over the back axle. so that might be a wise choice.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
LOL economic collapse knows no home.. and I'm afaid that we've reached a point and critcal mass where any number of things could cause it... any epidemic.. some energy shortages.. collapse of the dollar.. The earths population will double in the next 50 years.. energy consuption will more than double. hospitals are already at capacity. and look at the money creation over the last few years.. something WILL happen.. the question is when.

As soon as trucks stop arriving at walmart, you'll have about 3 days before your fighting off looters. When people get desperate for food, they become savage. History has proven this.

That said.. This is something that I consider... not something that dictates my life style.. I could use the higher capacity for daily activities in my line of work.

I don't think a suburban would be able to cross ditches.. much less some of the likely terrain in a GOOD situation. I own a 12,500 GVRW isuzu box truck if I JUST wanted capacity.. I have it. I want capability.. and the Jeep has it.. but I need to retain that at higher weight levels... Also... I will not be towing.. I already mentioned that.
A good survivalest doesnt need to pack everything he sees into a jeep an bug out. Campin gear, some fishing gear, proper seasonal clothing, tools, handgun, assault rifle, sawed-off shottie an ammo. I just solved your problem. Remove the backseat that should offset most of the extra weight.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
A good survivalest doesnt need to pack everything he sees into a jeep an bug out. Campin gear, some fishing gear, proper seasonal clothing, tools, handgun, assault rifle, sawed-off shottie an ammo. I just solved your problem. Remove the backseat that should offset most of the extra weight.
Thank You!!

Quick Reply: increase JK cargo capacity