Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Importing a Diesel JK from Europe to Canada !?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a Diesel JK from Europe to Canada !?

Please don't laugh at me if it's a dumb question...

Is that possible to import a Diesel JK from Europe to Canada!?

If so, where/how do I start?

My dad ask me this last week, and I can't find the answer on Google...
He will definitely fly all the way to Europe to buy one if he can import to Canada.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Classified.Spirit
Please don't laugh at me if it's a dumb question...

Is that possible to import a Diesel JK from Europe to Canada!?

If so, where/how do I start?

My dad ask me this last week, and I can't find the answer on Google...
He will definitely fly all the way to Europe to buy one if he can import to Canada.
Not dumb - just insanely expensive to make it (if possible) pass emissions and any other regulations that it might not be made-for-export to pass in North America.

Best advice - wait. There is a VERY, VERY good possibility (although not confirmed) that a diesel JK will be offered here within the next 2 model years.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't do that

The stock European diesel engine is too small, has slower acceleration and less HP

You will be very upset. Don't listen all the BS about this engine in this forum. It sucks. Trust me.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you that when I bought my JK I looked into it and at least in my state in the U.S. I would not be allowed to register a non emissions legal vehicle (a.k.a. I couldn't get a license plate for a diesel JK, even if I imported one).

The only possible loophole that I could use to get a diesel JK for where I live would be if I swapped the engine in and registered it as "emissions exempt". Not only would this be equally expensive as importing a JK from Europe but part of the "emissions exempt" law is that you have to pay a large fee every year you register it as emissions exempt AND you can only put 5,000 miles on it every year. If you put more than 5,000 miles on it I think they fine you and don't allow you to do so the following year.

Basically as with every government policy with enough money and paperwork you can get around it but they make it enough money and effort so that it isn't worth it in the end

Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbcwrangler
Not dumb - just insanely expensive to make it (if possible) pass emissions and any other regulations that it might not be made-for-export to pass in North America.

Best advice - wait. There is a VERY, VERY good possibility (although not confirmed) that a diesel JK will be offered here within the next 2 model years.
YEE... I heard that story in the last 4 years, LOL! I'm done waiting!

Originally Posted by Brice de Nice
Don't do that

The stock European diesel engine is too small, has slower acceleration and less HP

You will be very upset. Don't listen all the BS about this engine in this forum. It sucks. Trust me.
Did you test drive the 2.8 diesel vs 3.8 gasoline?
What do you have in your JK?

Originally Posted by tpm152
I can tell you that when I bought my JK I looked into it and at least in my state in the U.S. I would not be allowed to register a non emissions legal vehicle (a.k.a. I couldn't get a license plate for a diesel JK, even if I imported one).

The only possible loophole that I could use to get a diesel JK for where I live would be if I swapped the engine in and registered it as "emissions exempt". Not only would this be equally expensive as importing a JK from Europe but part of the "emissions exempt" law is that you have to pay a large fee every year you register it as emissions exempt AND you can only put 5,000 miles on it every year. If you put more than 5,000 miles on it I think they fine you and don't allow you to do so the following year.

Basically as with every government policy with enough money and paperwork you can get around it but they make it enough money and effort so that it isn't worth it in the end

If what you are saying is true, then all I can say is

Last edited by Classified.Spirit; 01-31-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

[COLOR="plum"][B]Did you test drive the 2.8 diesel vs 3.8 gasoline?
Yes I have the diesel in France, and I drove 2 JK's in Canada and USA in the last year.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I have the diesel in France, and I drove 2 JK's in Canada and USA in the last year.
Sorry mate but that's just rubbish. There have been US members from this forum who have driven a 2.8 CRD and been blown away by it. I've had many Jeeps from CJ5s to TJs and the 2.8 CRD is a great engine with good torgue, adequate HP and decent mileage. Add a Tunit chip and you have a monster that the drivetrain will not cope with. Sacre bleu!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrangler07
Sorry mate but that's just rubbish. There have been US members from this forum who have driven a 2.8 CRD and been blown away by it. I've had many Jeeps from CJ5s to TJs and the 2.8 CRD is a great engine with good torgue, adequate HP and decent mileage. Add a Tunit chip and you have a monster that the drivetrain will not cope with. Sacre bleu!
good torque for the trail, but weaker than the 3.8 engine for the acceleration.

BTW your Chunnel sucks

Last edited by Brice de Nice; 01-31-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

YEE... I heard that story in the last 4 years, LOL! I'm done waiting!
A LOT has changed in 4 years:

1. Jeep employees and engineers under Damlier begged and pleaded for a diesel Wrangler to be allowed in the U.S. In a cost saving effort (in addition to the crappy plastic interior) and general malaise about American diesel buying habits, Damlier said no.

2. Fiat bought (is now running) Chrysler and in addition to having world-class, clean diesel technology, their attitude is TOTALLY different about diesel in the U.S.

3. Both Sergio Marchionne and Mike Manley (CEO of Jeep) have publicly stated that they are very much in favor of a diesel Wrangler in North America and are actively working on the business case (read: making it cost-efficient)

4. The "war cry" from Wrangler owners for a diesel version has gotten a LOT louder in the past 4 years.

5. New fuel economy regulations go into effect from 2012-2016 that require an entire manufacturers fleet to average 35mpg. Wrangler MUST get quite a bit more efficient over the next couple of years and the only way to do that is with efficient motors and lighter weight.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good torque for the trail, but weaker than the 3.8 engine for the acceleration.

BTW your Chunnel sucks
Try the Tunit chip box.

And what the heck is a "chunnel"?

As ex-British army, don't make me bring up the war, mate.

Quick Reply: Importing a Diesel JK from Europe to Canada !?