Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I'm sick of paying for things because my car is bigger.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I had almost the EXACT same thing happen to me. Unfortunately there was no witnesses other than myself and the other driver who just happened to be a Jimmy John's delivery driver who was speeding through the parking lot making a sandwhich delivery. He lied about what happened so it became his word against mine in the police report making me 50% at fault.

The guy said I had made a right hand turn and pulled out in front of him while he was going down the parking isle. The truth is yeah, I turned into the parking isle and had already completed my turn and was already moving forward and looking to my left where I was looking to make a left hand turn into a parking spot. He came up from behind me doing at least 40 mph in the parking lot and side swiped me where the damage on my vehicle started from the rear fender and went up to the front fender. I had to show the police officer how the damage had started from the rear of my vehicle, because the way the guy described the accident he made it sound like he hit me in a T-Bone fashion.....but that's not what happened at all. He hit me in a parallel fashion approaching from the rear and side swiped me.

I had to fight with my insurance company, to prove that I was not at fault. I told them, that this is the 1st accident I've ever heard of where some one hit me from behind and I'm at fault.....You're fixing my vehicle...look at the damage...it starts from the rear. I was traveling down the same isle already and he was speeding and was probably looking down at the address where he had to make his next sandwich delivery and didn't see me.....then struck me from behind in a side swipe manor.

Yep...I had to pay for my deductible....because he lied ($500)....then I had to fight with my insurance so they wouldn't find me at fault so they could raise my insurance rates.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-23-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't pay a penny for this accident. Not one cent.

I would get the officer back on the horn, all of the witnesses and the other girls insurance and I would fight this to hell!

She pushed you 5 feet into another vehicle? And now youre taking the blame? I'm sorry, but I am yet to see any vehicle shift on its own sideways like that.

Honestly dude. I would refuse to pay anything as this is clearly not your fault at all. Don't give in.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R.X-D
I feel sorry for you.
the rules in your country just not fair!
in Canada, officer can't say "private property I have no jurisdiction"
and - "everyone who witness it said she was speeding"
in Canada one testimony is a solid evidence.

at least, no one got hurt...
Dude, you live in Manitoba MPIC rules all parking lot accidents 50/50 as long as you are behind the wheel and the vehicle is running. They don't care who did what!!!!

Trust me, you'll find out some day
Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well thanks for all your back up, I'm deffinately gonna try to argue this now. Canada sounds like a good place
Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

the person backing out is supposed to yield. this happened to my buddies k5 blazer in highschool. some idiot in a civic was blasting threw the parkinglot and ripped his car to shit. and my buddy got the blame. cops coudnt do anything as well . insurance made him pay
Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by arasco85
the person backing out is supposed to yield. this happened to my buddies k5 blazer in highschool. some idiot in a civic was blasting threw the parkinglot and ripped his car to shit. and my buddy got the blame. cops coudnt do anything as well . insurance made him pay
I believe the problem with Parking Lots in general is that they're privately owned, so the Police really don't have any legal right to enforce them. In most states there isn't even a law which has a speed limit for parking lots. I know I tried to find one for Michigan after my accident and turned up empty. It's up to the owner of the parking lot to post a "Speed Limit", but then since it's private property...do the police really have authority to enforce it? It's almost like Parking lots are an anything goes public driving area.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tvan93
I recently got into what should have been a fender bender in my school parking lot. I was pulling out of my space, and some girl flying through the parking lot slammed into me and pushed me into the car next to me. I realize that I have some fault because I did not see her when I pulled out, but she was going at least 30 in a marked 15. She hit my front bumper, which destroyed he car, and my flares caught the car next to me. When the officer arrived, he said that it looked like it was her fault for speeding, but because it was private property he had no jurisdiction. I ended up having to pay for everyone's cars because the insurance said that there was no proof she was speeding, and if I had not put my bumper on it would have "absorbed the shock" slightly hurting her car and not pushing me into the next. everyone who whitnessed it said she was speeding, even the person parked next to me. It just sucks that because I enjoy driving a jeep that I am now out 5k.
Hire a state patrol or other state agency to recreate the scene, I know in Nebraska you can hire the state patrol to recreate the accident and they can determine within a certain range how fast the driver was going with taking weight of the vehicles into account, as long as there were pictures taken and or the police sketched a diagram of the scene (how far the cars were apart, where skid marks were etc) and they can get a pretty good idea of who's at fault, my friend did this and over turned the local cops/insurance companies decision on an similar accident, saved him a few thousand. It wouldn't hurt to look into it.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I had almost the EXACT same thing happen to me. Unfortunately there was no witnesses other than myself and the other driver who just happened to be a Jimmy John's delivery driver who was speeding through the parking lot making a sandwhich delivery. He lied about what happened so it became his word against mine in the police report making me 50% at fault.

The guy said I had made a right hand turn and pulled out in front of him while he was going down the parking isle. The truth is yeah, I turned into the parking isle and had already completed my turn and was already moving forward and looking to my left where I was looking to make a left hand turn into a parking spot. He came up from behind me doing at least 40 mph in the parking lot and side swiped me where the damage on my vehicle started from the rear fender and went up to the front fender. I had to show the police officer how the damage had started from the rear of my vehicle, because the way the guy described the accident he made it sound like he hit me in a T-Bone fashion.....but that's not what happened at all. He hit me in a parallel fashion approaching from the rear and side swiped me.

I had to fight with my insurance company, to prove that I was not at fault. I told them, that this is the 1st accident I've ever heard of where some one hit me from behind and I'm at fault.....You're fixing my vehicle...look at the damage...it starts from the rear. I was traveling down the same isle already and he was speeding and was probably looking down at the address where he had to make his next sandwich delivery and didn't see me.....then struck me from behind in a side swipe manor.

Yep...I had to pay for my deductible....because he lied ($500)....then I had to fight with my insurance so they wouldn't find me at fault so they could raise my insurance rates.
This is where brute force comes into play, I'm all for governing with a fist if ya know what I'm saying, fucking dumbass delivery guy needs to learn a lesson and there's too many laws to protect people so they can lie, cheat and steal and get away with lying, well not in my world, I'd find out when he works get decked out in black and take a 2x4 to his ass. just my 2 cents though.

Quick Reply: I'm sick of paying for things because my car is bigger.