Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I'm ready to drive this thing off a cliff...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derff96963
Its a guess but it sounds like you are loosing voltage. Either your battery has an intermittent short, you have a loose power cable, or your alternator is dying.

That is my thinking alternator is dying or you have issues of corrosion on your battery cables or even a loose cable.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaleenPowr
I live in FL so there are no cliffs for me to drive this thing off of. I may just drive it into the ocean I am so pissed.

It's going to the dealer first thing in the morning.
Yeah, but I think the bridge between Tampa and St. Pete. should do as well...
Old 10-14-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the dealer called me yesterday and was like "Ummm, hey Greg. We are going to need to keep your Jeep overnight. Our tech did a diagnostic and there were 37 error codes and the tech has no idea whats wrong. He needs more time to go through all of them."

I basically told them good luck and call me when you have it done.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

That's great. It's exactly what you took it in for.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a low voltage issue.. The tech should key in on that by seeing a ton of error messages. My SS trailblazer did the same thing, but imaging it doing crazy stuff like that and not even attemping to start when you're trying to go to work in the morning. My Igntion switch harness had a short where it was touching the metal dash support under the steering colum. So after it would drain the battery over night or after a few days. the truck would start freakin out and thrown a bunch of CEL's. and then not even start. I hope for your sake it is a just an altenator or something simple like that. Electrical gremlins are hell if they don't have a well trained technician workin on them. good luck!

-Chad-
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hope all turns out well!!! Good Luck PS: I got a bike for sale!!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

So after two days of driving a full size Dodge Ram as a rental I finally got my Jeep back. My service guy said it was the ABS conector/wiring harness that went bad. Whats funny is that the last time my Jeep was in there for a problem with the ETC, they replaced that entire harness.

Drove it to work this morning and so far no problems. This marked the 12th time this thing has been in for service. Hooray Chrysler quality!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

So after two days of driving a full size Dodge Ram as a rental I finally got my Jeep back. My service guy said it was the ABS conector/wiring harness that went bad. Whats funny is that the last time my Jeep was in there for a problem with the ETC, they replaced that entire harness....
Hmm. I kept my trap shut earlier in this thread, but when I read your symptoms I was thinking that a wiring harness connector was working it's way loose. That would explain how multiple, seemingly unrelated systems are affected, and how the problems are not exactly the same each instance. I've seen this happen and sometimes it can be very difficult to troubleshoot (if the problem occurs only rarely). Anyway, I suspect that they didn't get that harness properly hooked up, but now they have. Thanks for letting us know how it worked out!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

So this just started yesterday on my way home from the GF's place. I'm diving then all of a sudden I get the warning DING then my ABS light comes on, the red BRAKE light goes on and the traction control icon lights up (all at the same time). When this happens my speedo also dies along with my radio but the engine and tac are fine. It will do this over and over and over again and it's driving me nuts. On the way home tonight, my lights would dim everytime this would happen and now my check engine light is on. WTF!!!!!!!!

I live in FL so there are no cliffs for me to drive this thing off of. I may just drive it into the ocean I am so pissed.

It's going to the dealer first thing in the morning.
When i lived in fort myers 20 years ago an ex friend of mine had a toyota truck that he could not afford to pay off so him and his brother inlaw drove out to a remote location,ripped out the radio and ignition to make it look like it was stolen (late at night) burned it to a crisp and reported it stolen the next morning,it was in his mothers name and he got her involved with lying to the cops,they got there insurance money,you could try going that route
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rattler
When i lived in fort myers 20 years ago an ex friend of mine had a toyota truck that he could not afford to pay off so him and his brother inlaw drove out to a remote location,ripped out the radio and ignition to make it look like it was stolen (late at night) burned it to a crisp and reported it stolen the next morning,it was in his mothers name and he got her involved with lying to the cops,they got there insurance money,you could try going that route
I was thinking along the lines of driving it out to the beach at low tide and wait for the water to come in.

Seriously though, at least once a week I see some dumbass stuck in the salt water and sand because he drove his car or truck too far out on the beach only to have the tide come in and swallow it up.

Quick Reply: I'm ready to drive this thing off a cliff...