Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I'm jinxed, inept or both....

Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm jinxed, inept or both....

I never seem to be able to go out with my rig and not do something to it. Went out first time in July.....tore DS boot thing....replaced DS. Went out in August.....pulled brake line out of place...fixed. Went out in September....dented skids (though that's probably what they're for) and started getting a vibration by muffler....had it adjusted. Just went out last weekend....somehow managed to damage right front tire so it's slowly deflating....not sure if I have to buy a new one or not. AAA on its way. $$$

Recently confused crush cans with fog lights on somebody's rig....

Finally, have no idea how to put down my soft top....only know how to operate Sunrider. Facing sheer panic at the prospect of having to remove the soft top for the winter to reinstall hard top that is hanging on a hoist in my garage.....and even more terrified at having to figure out next Spring how to reinstall the soft top.....

Starting to fear that I am either jinxed, totally incompetent as a Jeep owner or both.....had figured it would come to me in time by being around other guys with Jeeps....still waiting.....I think I need a crash (no pun intended) course on offroad driving and basic mechanics....unfortunately, I'm a desk jockey who never learned anything about working on cars.....at this rate, my 4x4 guy is going to become a billionaire from my screwups, repairs and mods....
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Soft tops real easy to get off. Once you have it in the sunrider position, open the tailgate, Unclip the top from the hooks, and push it down. Then stuff in the sail panels. If you want to fully remove it, just unscrew the 4 torque bolts and it will pop right off

btw im a desk jockey too and never worked on cars. but theres something about having a Jeep where you just cant stop modding it
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...door-unlimited

Hopefully that will help you with taking your soft top down!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys. I appreciate the information. One problems solved....
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Desk jockey jokes aside..

There is nothing more gratifying than to build you're own rig. (ability and knowledge providing)
What you have to try to do is be there when something is being done to the Jeep. Watch, pay attention, jump in and lend a hand. If someone else you know is doing a project on their rig, offer to help, be the third hand if you will.
The Jeep wrangler is an easy vehicle to work on. Way more basic than other vehicles. You just need to get in there and do it!
And if you break something, you know not to do it that way again!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by flex it
Desk jockey jokes aside..

There is nothing more gratifying than to build you're own rig. (ability and knowledge providing)
What you have to try to do is be there when something is being done to the Jeep. Watch, pay attention, jump in and lend a hand. If someone else you know is doing a project on their rig, offer to help, be the third hand if you will.
The Jeep wrangler is an easy vehicle to work on. Way more basic than other vehicles. You just need to get in there and do it!
And if you break something, you know not to do it that way again!!!
I know some guys on the forum from not too far away. Maybe they can let me hang out and watch them so I can learn how to do some things. I'd bring the beer for afterward.... Thanks very much for the kind words.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

For me, working on things and fixing things that I break is half the fun. Like has already been said, hands-on is the best way to learn.

Quick Reply: I'm jinxed, inept or both....