Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Im concidering a JK, is it better than my TJ?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dom7226
I test drove a different one that was stock at another dealer and the clutch felt really tight like i had no play room (i killed my TJ once and i was trying to see if it would go over a tree, and during the test drive i killed the JK like 8 times in a parking lot), my dad said it was because it's a brand new car.
We had a TJ and now have had the JK two door X for almost two years. I think one of the things you just need to get used to in the JK is the fly by wire throttle. I used to stall the JK a lot when I first got it because of the lag between when you mash the throttle and when the engine actually revs. You can get used to it after a bit. This may be the reason for all the stalls you encountered in the test drive.

Do we like the JK? Yes, it is much quieter to ride in, has way better ground clearance, the rear seat folds and tumbles foreward with the use of one latch, the storage cubby under the floor in back offers an out of sight spot to store a few things and can't be opened easily if the rear tailgate is locked shut, and the traction control system is pretty incredible. What don't I like about the JK? It's bigger and doesn't have the really short turn radius of a TJ, the front passenger seat doesn't tumble foreward, it just slides forward, making access to the rear seat a hassle.

I'm lucky in that I haven't had any of the leaky top issues or the clutch issues that some JK'ers have had. I'm not a fan of the six speed tranny, not because of the gear ratios or that it's a stick, but in my opinion the six speed is a crap tranny. Mine and numerous others on this forum have complained about the first to second gear shift, it's hard, notchy, noisy, and when it's really cold out it gets even worse. Dealers just tell us it's a characteristic of this tranny. Piece of crap but that's just my opinion. Other than this one issue, we really like the JK and I suspect you would enjoy one as much or more than a TJ. Hope you find the one you want.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
I traded in my 04 TJ for my 08 X JK. The main reason I traded was, I actually lowered my monthly payments, I got the lifetime powertrain warranty, AND, JK's are easier to lift and run 35's than TJ's (the last reason is why I looked at the JK in the first place).

There are times I still miss my TJ. I like the engine in the TJ much better, but, it is what it is. The I-6 is gone, and that is just the way of things. If I could keep just a few things from my TJ to incorporate into my JK it would be....

1) The redesigned top sucks (as compared to the TJ). The windshield header/top area was a better design on the TJ. The JK tends to have more wind noise, but more importantly, it does not make a good seal to keep the rain out. My TJ never had one problem with the top.

2) On the 2-door (what I have now), the front passenger seat does not tumble forward like the TJ. Therefor, it is kind of difficult for passengers to gain entry to the rear seats.

3) If you had a TJ that had the factory subwoofer up front between the seats (under center console), it sounded better than the JK's. The JK has the sub in the rear, which doesn't deliver the sound as well as the TJ sub (especially with the top down).

As you can see, those things I listed are not really that major. All in all, I am very happy with my JK. With a basic 2.5" lift (or BASIC 3" lift), you can run 35's. With a TJ, you needed a fairly complete 3.5-4.5" lift to run 33's, and if you had a non Rubi, you HAD to change out the rear driveshaft (CV and SYE) or do a T/C drop (JK's do not need T/C drops...in fact, I haven't even seen a kit for that for the JK). If you get the JK, at first you might still miss your TJ, but over time, and especially after you build it up a little (for way less $$ than a TJ build), you will be happy with your new Jeep.
I actually have had the opposite experience with the tops, more leaks with the TJ (soft top) vs. my JK (hard top), but it does appear a lot of JKers have leak issues.

As for the passenger seat tumble, it was indeed much better on the TJ, though since I'm always the driver I don't have to suffer.

As for the stereo, I am surprised to hear that. I have heard a couple TJs w/ sub and was not very impressed, the JK stereo is pretty cranking though, especially on the low end
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what they said.... I do find myself driving the jk everywhere, while I always used to trailer the tj, its a lot more road friendly.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 1 CJ7(86), 4 TJs(97,00,02, and 04 rubi), 1LJ(06) a 2dr JK(07) and now a 4dr JK(09). I currently own a 06LJ rubi and the 09 JK 4dr rubi.

I would get an LJ and not get the JK.

The JK is not as capable. Unlike the TJ rubi the JK rubi is not Limited slip when unlocked. The turning radius is a huge deal as is the extended length of the 4dr. JKs are WIDE. Most importantly, the JKs I've had were/are unreliable. I always wonder if I am going to be stranded because of it not starting or killing the engine due to the various electrical issues I have had/have. The ESP is a pain with modifications and as are the many other electrical "features" they've added. You have to take it to the dealer to flash it when you do anything. Add a hardtop - back to the dealer. on and on. Don't get me started on the clutch.

The build quality of the JKs is HORRIBLE. Metal is thin, the plastic is CHEAP and scratches, the tops are a joke. They should have labeled the tops decorative. They leak constantly and are MUCH MUCH louder than a TJ or LJ. I could go on and on. Short of it is...... if you are expecting the quality/dependability to be like your TJ you will be extremely disappointed.

It is honestly very difficult for me to think of something the JK does better. The radio is better. That's about it. Though they got the bright idea of moving the sub to the rear where it attracts thieves and you can't hear it.

Last edited by saltman; 03-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
I have had 1 CJ7(86), 4 TJs(97,00,02, and 04 rubi), 1LJ(06) a 2dr JK(07) and now a 4dr JK(09). I currently own a 06LJ rubi and the 09 JK 4dr rubi.

I would get an LJ and not get the JK.

The JK is not as capable. Unlike the TJ rubi the JK rubi is not Limited slip when unlocked. The turning radius is a huge deal as is the extended length of the 4dr. JKs are WIDE. Most importantly, the JKs I've had were/are unreliable. I always wonder if I am going to be stranded because of it not starting or killing the engine due to the various electrical issues I have had/have. The ESP is a pain with modifications and as are the many other electrical "features" they've added. You have to take it to the dealer to flash it when you do anything. Add a hardtop - back to the dealer. on and on. Don't get me started on the clutch.

The build quality of the JKs is HORRIBLE. Metal is thin, the plastic is CHEAP and scratches, the tops are a joke. They should have labeled the tops decorative. They leak constantly and are MUCH MUCH louder than a TJ or LJ. I could go on and on. Short of it is...... if you are expecting the quality/dependability to be like your TJ you will be extremely disappointed.

It is honestly very difficult for me to think of something the JK does better. The radio is better. That's about it. Though they got the bright idea of moving the sub to the rear where it attracts thieves and you can't hear it.
wow, not a happy camper. somehow I haven't had most of these issues. well i guess I got lucky.

Quick Reply: Im concidering a JK, is it better than my TJ?