Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

If you have Bestop safari and cab cover on your JK...talk to me

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you have Bestop safari and cab cover on your JK...talk to me

I had Bestop stuff on my TJ and it was always top notch. I just ordered a safari top, header and cab cover....from Smittybilt. I couldn't pass on the price, all 3 for $192 shipped.

Well, I went to install it all today. The header channel is garbage. It fits sloppy and there is no overlap on the windshield frame, so it's gonna leak when it rains dripping water down the inside of the windshield. The Safari top tightened as far as it will go is also sloppy. It's gonna flap like crazy and the straps for around the sound bar are too long to even cinch down. The cab cover is impossible to get on, with the driver's side clipped in the rails, the passenger side is a good 3" too short.

Smitty's CS was very nice to deal with, still waiting for their answer to the pictures I sent them.

So, if you have the Bestop products, tell me about them. I am thinking I'll send this stuff back for a refund and go the route I should have to begin with. Bestop all the way.

How does the header and safari top fit? How about the cab cover? I need a good cover for no top and no doors. I always had a Rain Gear cover and LOVE their product, but they still can't seem to come out with one for the JK's after 4 years in production. I can't wait any more, so it's Bestop.

FYI, my JK is a HT, so no door surrounds like on my TJ, but since I'm door-less, that watertight seal at the doors is a moot point.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Mopar sunbonnet and am very happy with it. I also have the Bestop trail cover and it fits very well. I hook it under the rubi rails and it stays put.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my bestop safari top from 4wd.com. Got the header channel for free and free shipping. I think it was like $106 total. Not quite sure what you're mean by cab cover, but I only have the bikini anyway. The header is very nice and seems to be very tight with the windshield weather seal. I wouldn't think it would leak, but I'm not planning on testing it. I've also got a hard top, so there are no surrounds. You have to velcro the top around the roll cage, so it is not really that tight. It does flap on the highway. I've read posts on here that say it is very tight to install with surrounds, so maybe that would cut down on the flapping. I'm happy with it, but I didn't get it to be weathertight. Its only to keep the summer sun from frying me and kids.

EDIT: Ahhh....cab cover. Covers everything when the top and doors are off. Like when its parked overnight. Gotcha! Sorry, can't help you there. I put mine in the garage if there's a chance of rain.

Last edited by dcharge74; 05-31-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bestop header isn't any better... it's the weakest point in the system. Other than that it's not bad for a light rain/sprinkle.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go Mopar.... but I'm thinking about the Trektop NX now.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a 2 Door with a hard top, I have the Safari top, and made adjustments which stopped the flapping. The small straps with clips go into the large hard top panel screw holes, along with the side straps & clips. The rear roll bar straps I wrap in an opposite figure eight around the seat belt and tighten from the top. (cured the flapping on our two door models). There is a 1/4" space I have noticed from the outside top of the windshield, however I have never observed a leak inside X 2 years. As for the clamps, I did have to adjust them several times until they clicked secure onto the windshield. I don't have a wind jammer. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

i put a pool noodle between the soundbar and top to stop the flapping on my 2 dr.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PainKiller
i put a pool noodle between the soundbar and top to stop the flapping on my 2 dr.
I do the exact same thing on my 4-door.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Running both. The safari top is ok, but is never completely snug. the cover is nice, but the bag it comes with is garbage the handle is sewn so you can never really get it back in. The cover keeps everything dry even in major storms. Broke out the cover for the season and one of the traps was gone, ripped right out. I am happy overall but not impressed or anything. Also the cover can fit weird with windshield lights.

Good luck
Old 05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Save yourself some $$$ and just get a tarp for emergencies from Walmart for like $20 bucks...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

71Luber: If you fill out your profile information, you'll get better information. The problem is that the best answer varies depending on the year of Jeep you own and the number of doors you have. In general, the Mopar Sunbonnet is the best, even if it's much more expensive. It works well with the other Bestop products. But, the top design changed for later model years. And if you have a two door there are options for the back that have been pressed into service for four doors, but have limitations. So, please fill out that profile info*.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, click my name to the left, then select "View Profile". That data is critical to the best answers to your questions.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-01-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Quick Reply: If you have Bestop safari and cab cover on your JK...talk to me