Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

If you buy yourself a jeep.....

Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minivan has the "For Sale" sign already!

Unfortunately - JKGirl - you are right on!

Almost dead on for us. The wife needed but hated our Dodge Caravan. I was traveling way too much and the minivan proceeded to take up almost all of my free time when I was home with its repairs and upkeep.

So since she didn't want a minivan anymore but needed to carry 7 passengers she selected the MDX (call me confused - isn't the MDX a minivan??) and the oldest kid was forced to use the Dodge minivan (true torture by all accounts). Unfortunately, the next in line also needed transportation and then they both began to encroach on my 4 runner (bought at insurance auction and rebuilt - was way to cheap to pass up - lifted with 32s - multicolored - it was my street legal atv and looks like crap!).

So I was "allowed" to get the Jeep since everyone enjoyed our rental so much last summer in Colorado. Now that I have it, the wife wants to trade her MDX in - or wants to modify it as soon as it is out of warranty and the kids are returning from college. The eldest girl thinks that it would look much cooler for her to drive the Jeep than the multicolored 4 runner. Obviously she is right but I can't give in this time!

I'm toast.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZToad
Unfortunately - JKGirl - you are right on!

Almost dead on for us. The wife needed but hated our Dodge Caravan. I was traveling way too much and the minivan proceeded to take up almost all of my free time when I was home with its repairs and upkeep.

So since she didn't want a minivan anymore but needed to carry 7 passengers she selected the MDX (call me confused - isn't the MDX a minivan??) and the oldest kid was forced to use the Dodge minivan (true torture by all accounts). Unfortunately, the next in line also needed transportation and then they both began to encroach on my 4 runner (bought at insurance auction and rebuilt - was way to cheap to pass up - lifted with 32s - multicolored - it was my street legal atv and looks like crap!).

So I was "allowed" to get the Jeep since everyone enjoyed our rental so much last summer in Colorado. Now that I have it, the wife wants to trade her MDX in - or wants to modify it as soon as it is out of warranty and the kids are returning from college. The eldest girl thinks that it would look much cooler for her to drive the Jeep than the multicolored 4 runner. Obviously she is right but I can't give in this time!

I'm toast.

Good gosh man put your foot down and grow some. (it's amazing how tough I can talk when Mrs. Rudedog is a sleep) Now tell them who is boss!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Default Trade Offs

Yeah, I often think about putting my foot down and then remember how my father was so demanding about the littlest of things. He had a stroke a few years back and with all the recent amputations - doesn't care about life much.

I've learned to put most things into perspective. My kids are amazingly good. The older two are in college - both doing well on scholarships - and they even call just to talk every now and then) - and the younger two are great and talented (much more so than the parents) - and how wonderful the wife is (and she doesn't even check the forum - although did look over my shoulder at that woman covered in mud in the Jeep!).

They want to use the cars to get to their jobs that they got themselves. I can handle that. They even said they'd pay for gas - I thought they were going a bit far there - I don't think they realize how far up it has gone.

Thinking that an 08 might just be needed - maybe the wife will take the 07 and then I can take the 08 and....as JKGirl said...

All the rest is just priceless...

and on 4 year loans!

Last edited by AZToad; 05-22-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
JK Freak

Default hey rupedog...

BTW - what is the story behind your JK? Did your wife take it?

Noticed you were amongst those of us "medicated" fools - what are you in for?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I just got rid of my wife's minivan for her, so hopefully she will be distracted by her new car and leave my Jeep alone. When I get it....
Would have been cheaper to just get rid of the wife HA.

Jk Jk.

Then after child support and all those divorce goodies you will be VeryPoorDad
Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 PM
JK Super Freak

BTW - what is the story behind your JK? Did your wife take it?

Noticed you were amongst those of us "medicated" fools - what are you in for?

Hey, I'm down and out with a back injury. I go in the end of June and have 2 fusions and then another stableized. We got the JK and 4 days later I got injured so I haven't driven the JK sense. It will be three months on June 1st. I got to put about 150 miles on it before I got laid up. It hasn't even been off road yet. My wife is using it until I get well enough to drive. So that is why I'm on here all the time.. Nothing else to do.:sad: What's with you?
Side note; I know what you mean about kids.. I'm blessed with some great ones. One going to colleage, one in middle school, and the girl is working full time up in washington. The colleage boy lives with his soon to be wife and works full time, the middle schooler boy is a straight A student, and the girls just trying to make it on her own. Then there is my sweet wife. She is the best thing to come into my life. There ya go. The short version.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by njch412
Would have been cheaper to just get rid of the wife HA.

Jk Jk.

Then after child support and all those divorce goodies you will be VeryPoorDad
Been there and done that and She got the T shirt.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rupedog
Nothing else to do.:sad: What's with you?
Side note; I know what you mean about kids.. I'm blessed with some great ones. One going to colleage, one in middle school, and the girl is working full time up in washington. The colleage boy lives with his soon to be wife and works full time, the middle schooler boy is a straight A student, and the girls just trying to make it on her own. Then there is my sweet wife. She is the best thing to come into my life. There ya go. The short version.
Congrats on the family - you've obviously been doing something right!

I've had the privilege - within the past 10 months - of multiple surgeries. All fairly minor - UPPP - basically ripped out my throat, tonsils, uvula, and soft palate - followed up by additional sinus surgeries and ablations - they figured my insomnia might have been worsened by the sleep apnea. Bad thing for a pilot. In the mean time since I'm between contracts and laid up - my knee went out for the last time - required two surgeries and soon possibly a third - they've worked great so far but when it went out I changed to an auto before I realized the surgery would be so successful. I had already gone to D status - :sad: As if that wasn't enough - I have these great bone spurs that require transforaminal epidurals (means they give me an injection in the front of my neck that goes all the way through me into my spine!). And since I'm not traveling as much - I'm pretty sure the wife has me signed up for a vasectomy while I'm still not fully mobile!

So although I have been somewhat laid up - I at least get to run around in the jeep and get really sunburned and get into trouble.

Hope you get better soon so you can too!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Congrats on the family - you've obviously been doing something right!

I've had the privilege - within the past 10 months - of multiple surgeries. All fairly minor - UPPP - basically ripped out my throat, tonsils, uvula, and soft palate - followed up by additional sinus surgeries and ablations - they figured my insomnia might have been worsened by the sleep apnea. Bad thing for a pilot. In the mean time since I'm between contracts and laid up - my knee went out for the last time - required two surgeries and soon possibly a third - they've worked great so far but when it went out I changed to an auto before I realized the surgery would be so successful. I had already gone to D status - :sad: As if that wasn't enough - I have these great bone spurs that require transforaminal epidurals (means they give me an injection in the front of my neck that goes all the way through me into my spine!). And since I'm not traveling as much - I'm pretty sure the wife has me signed up for a vasectomy while I'm still not fully mobile!

So although I have been somewhat laid up - I at least get to run around in the jeep and get really sunburned and get into trouble.

Hope you get better soon so you can too!

Thanks looks like we made it to "Good Father Status" man I would think she would let you slide on the vasectomy after what you've gone threw.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 AM
JK Freak

Default The last time I was home

...for this long was about 4 years ago - when she got pregnant with our youngest. Neither of us are sure what method failed us that time but since we both seem to be proving the docs wrong and still being fertile - I'm thinking that 64 is old enough to still be going to a college graduation.

Quick Reply: If you buy yourself a jeep.....