Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

If the Rubicon is good for rock crawling...

Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was asking because they don't sell the rubicon over here, it's either the sahara or the sport (or X as you call it). I was wondering what are we missing on
Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

In the end, its about the benjamins. Lets face, we'd all have rubis if we could. I know I would. So this is how it boils down:

$600/mo = rubi
$500/mo = sahara
$400/mo = X

How fat is your wallet. As for offroad performance, any one can be made into a monster, again its about the benjamins. My modded X will walk all over a stock rubi! (that should lite a couple of fires - )
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

No I would not have a Rubi if I could.

The Rubi is an awesome vehicle but it has some limitations for MY type of wheeling.

I want at least a rear locker but I want to be able to use it in both 4-lo and 4-hi. Additionally, the 4:1 low in the Rubi is too low for the type of wheeling I do. I have read that the Rubi is great for rock crawling but the 4:1 low is too low for mud or snow or sand and when you put it in 4-hi the locker no longer works. The e-disco is cool as I am pretty sure I would want my sway bar connected at anything above 18 mph but at $750 + extra weight + extra motors and electronics that can break, I would rather have a manual sway bar disconnect.

For me it looks like an 09 X manual with the S package and 3.73:1 gears, Currie tow bar, small lift with 33" tires, manual sway bar disconnects and a good old fashion mechanical locker in the rear will get me everywhere I have ever gone or wanted to go, (desert/sand/rocky trails but not rock crawling) cost less, weigh less and be less complicated than a Rubi. With the A/C and CC and regular old factory radio it will be plenty comfortable for me to take it out on the highway for a weekend trip.

But... I will admit that I am looking to replace my Suzuki Samurai which is about as basic as they come so even my little X will be a huge step up in power and comfort.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
4:1 low is too low for mud or snow or sand and when you put it in 4-hi the locker no longer works.
so THAT's why they don't sell Rubicons here
Old 05-31-2008, 02:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doojer
Saharas and Xs are good for proving you don't need a Rubicon.
DOOJER YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD
Old 05-31-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JasonWFTW
We've got people who drive Toyota's hating on Jeeps.

We've got people who drive CJs hating on JKs.

Now we've got people who drive JKs hating on other JKs because it's a different model than theirs.
^^^someone who makes sense^^^
Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can still crawl rocks in any of the rest. You just have more limitations if you don't have lockers and discos.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Who gives a shit.

When I'm topless and doorless driving along with my wife in my X, I get waves all the time, even from local farmers who are just out checking their mail.

That's what it's ultimately all about. 99% of the time, if your Jeep can't go OVER something, just drive around it!

THe penis comparisons of Jeep owners can get stupid sometimes.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use my X for trail Jeep and running through cow pastures... A rubicon would be a waste of money for me. 4:1 T-case too low for my uses and a Dana 30 with rear 44 will hold up just fine for me. Not knocking any Rubicons, I just don't need one. Thats why they make em different.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HELL BOYS let's get OBAMER'S OPINION, I'D FEEL MUCH BETTER KNOWING IT SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE

Quick Reply: If the Rubicon is good for rock crawling...