Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

If the Rubicon is good for rock crawling...

Old 01-13-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an X and have gone avery place I've wanted. And have had lot's of fun.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, I really don't want to start an argument but I just have to say. I think it's ridiculous to say that real fourwheelers buy Rubicons. A REAL fourwheeler recognizes what he needs to do the type of wheeling he will do. I ran a TJ with a D35 in the back and 35" MTR's. Does that mean I'm not a REAL fourwheeler? Hell no. I didn't break that axle once because I used talent instead of just putting the pedal to the floor and hoping to muscle my way over the obstacle.

As I mentioned before. Your Jeep is what YOU need it to be. An X, Sahara or Rubicon can all be the same off-road capable rig. It just depends on what YOU do to it.

I've seen a Rubicon TJ not make it up sand rocks that my TJ with a D35 and no lockers made it up. We can all come up with examples and points one way or the other. But that doesn't really matter. It's what YOU want. I didn't want a Jeep that was already built. I wanted to build MY Jeep with the parts that I wanted.

I'll shut up now. Cheers to all the Sahara, X and Rubicon owners. After all, you aren't driving an H3.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Evan JK
Okay, I really don't want to start an argument but I just have to say. I think it's ridiculous to say that real fourwheelers buy Rubicons. A REAL fourwheeler recognizes what he needs to do the type of wheeling he will do. I ran a TJ with a D35 in the back and 35" MTR's. Does that mean I'm not a REAL fourwheeler? Hell no. I didn't break that axle once because I used talent instead of just putting the pedal to the floor and hoping to muscle my way over the obstacle.

As I mentioned before. Your Jeep is what YOU need it to be. An X, Sahara or Rubicon can all be the same off-road capable rig. It just depends on what YOU do to it.

I've seen a Rubicon TJ not make it up sand rocks that my TJ with a D35 and no lockers made it up. We can all come up with examples and points one way or the other. But that doesn't really matter. It's what YOU want. I didn't want a Jeep that was already built. I wanted to build MY Jeep with the parts that I wanted.

I'll shut up now. Cheers to all the Sahara, X and Rubicon owners. After all, you aren't driving an H3.
While offroading skill of the driver counts if you were to take a stock X, stock Sahara, and stock Rubicon and let the same driver run the same course the Rubi out the box will outperform the other two. Now once you start the mods then hey you can make an unstopable machine from any of them. I think that is all that is trying to be said here. Of course just because you own a Rubi does not automatically make you a better offroad driver just better prepared straight off the lot.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

I've always said expierience and driver skill are more important. Sure they may be certain routes you can't take without certain mods, but for my purposes, my Stock Sahara works perfectly. I get it out as often as possible, but the reality is that it's my daily commuter, so weighing that in, a lift and bigger tires just don't make sense to offset the 1 or 2 each year times that I have to pass on a trail or line because I don't have those things.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With our Ruby, We take her out almost every weekend wheelin of some type or an other. We baught a ruby because we knew we would be wheelin her quite often and having most of the equiptment that others built there rigs up to WITH a warranty was very appealing. About the only time our Ruby has been stuck was when she was high centered other than that she has been great.

Kat
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think the X or sahara are good for anything... maybe they can make it to the mall and back. Anywhere else and you need a rubicon sticker.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. T

but, what about the guy that put the rubicon sticker on his sahara? is he ok since he now has the sticker? if so, maybe i should get one too so my hood will look tougher
Yeah... I took off my X sticker hoping that would help... but i think the only way I'll ever be able to go to the farm safely is by adding the rubicon sickers.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
Instigator!!! Damn modulators, always stirring the pot...
No, that is what everyone who wants a Rubi and doesn't have one says!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a older Rubi park next ot my wifes jk Sahara the other night when we went to dinner. The "stock" Sahara was 3" taller. Do not underestimate the new trail rated vehicles.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

I guess i'm not a "real four wheeler"...

but... heck, even with my 3.21 gears, highway tires, and limited slip, i know damn sure that i can go ANYWHERE some "poser" that bought a "rubicon" just "for the sticker" can go.

Drivers SKILL... is ALL its about.
Buying a rubicon does not make you a true 4 wheeler...
Hell, people buy a 4x4 "whatever" and think they are a tank or can swim...

i bet a sticker wont matter much when there is only a Suzuki around to pull it out of "whatever" (or at least give you a ride to a place you can get phone service...)

Why not cut the BS, enjoy "whatever" you purchase for YOUR needs, and be humble enough to know that the guy driving the X might be the only one around to help you... because you cant BUY "skill"... its something that takes years of experience, breakage, pain and blood.

I've put Hummers (H1's), Blazers(k5's), "custom ops vehicles" whatever... through the WORST you could ever immagine, in EVERY combat theater in the world for the past 20 years... and i dont care who thinks i'm not a "true fourwheeler", i'm just glad to be alive to enjoy MY Jeep, my friends and family, and others that enjoy "off pavement activities" (no matter what) when you 4x to save your life and the lifes of others.... and your @$$ depends on your skills *under FIRE, you might respect things a little more and see the "big picture".

so... do right by the other man and dont think your $h!t dont stink because you have a deeper wallet... hell, i bet lots of people "wanted" a rubicon, but opted to build their rig THEIR way.... its PRIDE in ownership, and again, you cant buy skills...

dont take this as "b!tchin"... but we ALL need to get along, because NO ONE is ANY better than the next, no matter what you think you "have".
sorry... just venting...
(PTSD its a vet thing... )

Quick Reply: If the Rubicon is good for rock crawling...