Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

If the Rubicon is good for rock crawling...

Old 01-12-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Wranglers are good but...

Originally Posted by karth
what are the X and Sahara good for? stupid question I know, just curious
I had a choice when ordering my JK. I could have gone with the X just to save money and still gone offroading. I wanted to try offroading but didn't know how far I would go with it. If I got the X and got the offroading bug I would want to do a lot of mods for extreme trails. So, I ordered the Rubi. The upgrades are already there if I need them and won't have to go through the hassle to add them in the future. It's a matter of finances. If you can afford the Rubi, go for it.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miguelylucy
Sahara's and X comes with 32's just they are not m/t tires
they do not come stock from the factory with 32". You can get the upgrade. I have 225/75 R16 tires sitting in my basement right now that came off an X. Im not tire expert but i wouldnt think 225 is a 32" tire is it?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
Instigator!!! Damn modulators, always stirring the pot...
He's just jealous.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luigi0523
Depends on what package you get the s pkg. comes with 255x17 same size as Rubi but not muds and you can opt for a delete -$200 and get 245x16, the std. c pkg. is 225x16
no i am comparing a completely stock unloaded no upgrades standard package of vehicles...
Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

So at the risk of looking like a poser...I've never done any off-roading, but I recently got an 08 Sahara and I'm looking forward to taking it out to Uwharrie in the spring. If I'm running completely stock, is there anything I have to worry about or will the Sahara be able to handle itself?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karth
what are the X and Sahara good for? stupid question I know, just curious
The same thing the Rubi is good for, of course.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drchazz
So at the risk of looking like a poser...I've never done any off-roading, but I recently got an 08 Sahara and I'm looking forward to taking it out to Uwharrie in the spring. If I'm running completely stock, is there anything I have to worry about or will the Sahara be able to handle itself?
You'll have fun. That's the best way to do it. Get out there and try some off-roading. Then you can figure out what things you want to improve on. Over time you'll figure out what kind of tires YOU need and what type of lift YOU need. Then after some more times in the great outdoors you'll figure out if you want a locker. Get out there and experience it. You may get stuck but as long as you go with another vehicle and be smart and safe you'll enjoy it.

That said, I bought the most basic X I could. I didn't want to buy a Jeep that the factory already built up for me. I started with a stock TJ and went off-roading and slowly modified it as I needed. I have a bit of a head start with my JK since I already know what I want to start with (tire type and lift) but I'm still looking forward to it.

They're all Jeeps and they all have the potential to be off-road rigs. What ever that may mean to YOU. (but if my wife asks, tell her it needs a winch, big lift, big tires, air compressor, bumpers, umm)
Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

The bottom line is unless you plan on spending a lot more, or doing all the work yourself the Rubicon is the only way to go if you plan on wheeling. The comparison is silly to make, of course twin lockers and ultra low gears are going to spank the Sahara or X in ANY situation.

My personal observation is 95% of real fourwheelers automatically buy the Rubicon and recognize the bargain. The other 5% enjoy wrenching or plan tube buggy conversions.

Then you have the once a summer picnic wheelers, that an X or Sahara will be perfectly fine for.....but I always see a massive number of SUV/ Jeep buyers that pluck down cash for a base model or worse 2wd version....only to get bitten by the 4x4 bug later and looking for costly upgrades.

If the X or Shara came with a D44 front diff(as they should) and maybe a rear traction aid....ok, then I would honor the build it later idea.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
Hell, I was just talking to a JK owner.....he said he purchased the Rubicon because he wanted "the rubicon sticker on the hood. and would never take it off road"

Yep... well he sounds like a fool. Some of us bought the Rubicon for the equipment package... not the stickers. Hell, some of us even pulled the stickers off. Either way... I have no buyer's remorse and enjoy that it is factory equiped with things I always wanted on my LJ but never made the time or money available to get done. I bought it for what is assists me in doing off road; not, because I couldn't have built a better, stronger, or "nicer" one. Just wanted a different starting point for my build other than what the X and Sahara had available.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

The Rubicon is a ready to go rock crawling off the shelf model. For those of us who do not plan on those body panel denting trails, sharp drops off rocks, rollovers, and general undercarrage damage but want to be able to take it offroad the Sahara or X is a much better choice due to price. I know I can not take my Sahara everywhere a Rubi can go but I know I can take it everywhere I want to go. The only reason I got a Sahara over an X is the fact that they had a Sahara with everything I wanted (4.10 rear, tow package, and larger tires) but I would have had to order an X or Rubi to get what I wanted (come to think of it they did not have a rubi anywhere in stock and no Xs or Saharas at the other branches of the same dealer that would have worked).

Quick Reply: If the Rubicon is good for rock crawling...