Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I think my optima might have exploded

Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepfreek13
you were using your Warn Powerplant with a red top?? You need to upgrade to a Yellowtop and do not tell Optima you were using it with your powerplant. I had them deny a replacement as they said the red top was not rated for the deep draw that it takes on the battery.

go to their website and it tells you this on the main info page
I asked a very reputable shop here in the valley which Optima would be best and they told me the "Red Top." I even asked them about the Yellow. All I know is that someone WILL be paying for my damage. I've also been getting severe headaches since it has happend. I am thinking due to the fumes. The shop said they did a hazardous cleaning on the inside and I even took it and denuetralized everything myself afterwards.

I was out wheelin this weekend and could still smell it even with a new battery (red top). Didn't use the winch but did use my PIAA's. HMMM... Something is not right for sure.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bleblanc
even with a new battery (red top). Didn't use the winch but did use my PIAA's. HMMM... Something is not right for sure.
Did they make you replace it with a red top? Too bad you didnt upgrade to the yellow.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsy
Did they make you replace it with a red top? Too bad you didnt upgrade to the yellow.
They (shop) are telling me that the red is better. So I don't know. I'm a noobie and this shop comes HIGHLY recommended by many jeep clubs out here.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know much on the subject but also heard the yellow is the way to go. I will be interested to see how this all plays out.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Don't know much on the subject but also heard the yellow is the way to go. I will be interested to see how this all plays out.
This really concerns me, because you are now the 4th one I've heard commenting on the Yellow top. I specifically asked for the best Optima battery for the powerplant and the PIAA 525 lights. They all said "RED." (at the shop) After the first one blew up, I even told them that I was told that the "YELLOW" was better and they continued to say that, "the Red one is better," and installed another Red one.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OPTIMA RedTop

The looks alone generate plenty of buzz. But it's the patented SPIRALCELL® Technology in OPTIMA RedTop batteries that's truly worthy of praise. OPTIMA RedTop batteries are built to withstand the abuse Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's experience on and off-road. SPIRALCELL Technology immobilizes the internal components of the battery, enabling OPTIMA batteries to withstand incredible amounts of vibration.

Vehicles modified for better engine performance demand more from a battery. OPTIMA batteries withstand the high underhood temperatures associated with these Performance vehicles. The sealed cells make the battery spill-proof, even if you install it on its side! This prevents external gassing and leaking which can damage engine components and limit battery performance.

If your battery is used in vehicles that demand extra reliability and performance, or if you just take pride in getting the best performance out of your vehicle, OPTIMA RedTop batteries deliver the performance you demand.

The OPTIMA YellowTop

Demand more from your vehicle? Then get more from your battery. OPTIMA YellowTop batteries are made for the extremes. If you have an extreme vehicle, you expect high performance. Whether your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-road driving or cranking out decibels, you need more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries with patented SPIRALCELL® Technology deliver that performance. The deep cycle characteristic of this technology coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

The yellow one for what you need!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MichaelW
I am curious about your leakage. Were you running the vehicle while running the winch when you had your leakage?

The yellow top has about 200 less cca's than the red top. This could be the difference between a frozen morning hard start or walking. After 10 seconds of starter drain the yellow top falls below output of a standard battery.

Don't get me wrong the yellow top is good but I've always run red.
Yes, I was running the vehicle while running the winch and air compressor. It was on a night run so I was running my PIAA lights as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MichaelW
I am curious about your leakage. Were you running the vehicle while running the winch when you had your leakage?

The yellow top has about 200 less cca's than the red top. This could be the difference between a frozen morning hard start or walking. After 10 seconds of starter drain the yellow top falls below output of a standard battery.

Don't get me wrong the yellow top is good but I've always run red.
where did you get those#'s. I just checked our shelf and the yellow top is 750cca while the red top is 720cca. we sell more yellows at the parts store I work at for this reason and the winch factor, deep cycles kill red tops.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yellow Top and tell your local shops they are crazy.

Read Stu's Offroad regarding Yellow vs Red...
http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/elec1/battery.htm
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

funny thing is...i've seen the Extreme 4x4 show install red tops TWICE on two different vehicles - both with winches. I even sent them an email.

they didn't listen either...

Quick Reply: I think my optima might have exploded