Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I think my optima might have exploded

Old 05-29-2007, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my optima might have exploded

I was out wheelin on Sunday night/Monday and the jeep started smelling really weird. It smelt sweet at times then other times it would smell like something was burning. I couldn't make it out. Anyways, I get home and go to set the alarm and nothing. Strange, so I go to start it and it won't even turn over. Open the hood and there is a sticky residue that looks like ink all over my hood and on the side of my red optima. My only guess is that it leaked or exploded. Not sure yet. My jk is being towed down to the shop now.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Seriously? Wow. First time I've heard of an Optima doing that. Be curious to knwo what your shop says.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure exactly what happend, still waiting to hear back from them. I'll post as soon as I hear something.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

I've seen the demo in person, when they drive truck onto the battery and park it... and nada. They pick it up and put in another truck and start right up.

What were you out doing and how hot was it?

By the way, Optima Warranty = 36 Months Free Replacement, Remaining 36 Month Prorated
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=dayton1999;96607] What were you out doing and how hot was it?

I was wheelin in the desert mountains and it was about 100 degrees out.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default It did explode!!!

Well I got a call back from the shop and sure enough, it exploded!!! I filed a claim with Optima. There is damage to the side of my jeep from the acid and all under my hood of my poor jeep. This sucks man! I just had that battery put in 3 weeks ago. I'm just glad I made it home and wasn't stuck out in the middle of the desert.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default $2500 in damages

I got the quote back from the estimate and it totals almost $2500 in damages. My poor jeep's paint is just bubbling on the side of her and under the hood. It's soo ugly it's SAD! Optima is waiting for the battery so their engineers can look at it before they submit payment. They said it can take 4-6 weeks before I would see a check..

With that said, another jeeper from a local group had the same thing happen to him with a red top optima last weekend. He was using his Powerplant just before it happend.. CRAZY!! I used my Powerplant hours before all this happend..

HMMMMM... Coincidence.. Lets all hope so.

What do you all think?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy thats not good news..I was thinking about putting one of those in mine...please keep us posted on all the details, as I'm sure there's a lot of people who will eventually be running both optimas and powerplants.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bleblanc
I got the quote back from the estimate and it totals almost $2500 in damages. My poor jeep's paint is just bubbling on the side of her and under the hood. It's soo ugly it's SAD! Optima is waiting for the battery so their engineers can look at it before they submit payment. They said it can take 4-6 weeks before I would see a check..

With that said, another jeeper from a local group had the same thing happen to him with a red top optima last weekend. He was using his Powerplant just before it happend.. CRAZY!! I used my Powerplant hours before all this happend..

HMMMMM... Coincidence.. Lets all hope so.

What do you all think?

you were using your Warn Powerplant with a red top?? You need to upgrade to a Yellowtop and do not tell Optima you were using it with your powerplant. I had them deny a replacement as they said the red top was not rated for the deep draw that it takes on the battery.

go to their website and it tells you this on the main info page

Last edited by jeepfreek13; 06-01-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

yup sounds like to many amps for the battery to handle seems like a fuse would work someplace in this episode

Quick Reply: I think my optima might have exploded