Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I test drove a Wrangler today.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I test drove a Wrangler today.

So I have been lurking here and at other sites for a while trying to decide if I want to buy a new Wrangler to replace my little Suzuki Samurai. I have built a number of combinations on the Jeep site and on Edmunds and I have done a lot of research. I pretty much got it down to a Wrangler X with the 23S package, 1/2 doors, and 3.73 gears. My family and I went for a long Suzuki ride today and ended up near and finally in a jeep dealership. They had a Wranger X with the 23S but it had full doors and 3.21s. I pretty much THOUGHT I wanted to get rid of the Sami and buy a Jeep until I took the Jeep for a test ride.

Now I KNOW I want one. I totally dig it. I just really need to crunch the numbers and do some soul searching. Can I afford it? Yes, absolutely all the bills still get paid, everybody eats and life pretty much goes on as it is now but I have another payment. Do I want to afford it? Well I don't know. My house needs a lot of work and I and all the rest of my family (wife and two kids) have and will always have a bunch of other wants that will have to wait a while if I am making a Jeep payment. But then again I am 45 so how much longer do I wait to get a vehicle I have wanted for about 30 years as near as I can remember? Do I keep putting the family first or get selfish?

A few years ago we purchased an RV under the idea that 1) we will never be in a situation where buying an RV is not a financial burden and 2) we should do it now while the kids are young. That was an awesome decision that I have never regretted. We are still paying for it but we are still enjoying it many times a year, every year with no end in site. I wonder if I can apply the same logic to the Wrangler.

In the end, all the needs are met (food, clothing, shelter, insurance etc..) additionally all the current wants are met (dance lessons, occasional dinner out, spending cash for entertainment) but future wants get put on hold. I got to decide what is more important, a new Wrangler for me or new dirt-bikes for the wife and son (wife deserves one, son outgrew his) and home improvements.

Finally, I feel pretty lucky knowing this is the only decision (problem) I have floating around my head right now. My life is good.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Well with all the toys, if the college funds and retirement accounts are maxed out - it may be time for another toy. From my perspective a Jeep is either a necessity or a want. If you need it (daily driver...)and you can afford it (any necessity) then it's an easy answer. If it's a want - and not a need you're willing to give up the family car (or other toy) for - and the above "needs" are met (retirement, college...) then it too beomes an easy decision.

I traded in my 04 daily 4x and paid cash for the rest - that's a need I can afford.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Oh yea I forgot about that, College and Retirement are covered.

You are right about it being a family toy. When we take the Sami out camping it never gets parked, we use it, the in-laws use it, my daughter drives it and I believe the same will hold true for the Wrangler. At home the Sami gets driven almost everyday (I have a company car) because my mentally retarded son loves it and always asks to go for a ride. The Wrangler will be the same. Finally, no matter what I will be buying a new vehicle in two years when my daughter turns 16. I have promised her my 2006 Toyota Tundra. It is over two years old and just now hit 16,000 miles. Most of that was in the first year as it rarely gets driven now due to the company car and my son's love of riding in the Sami.

Wow, almost got myself talked into it.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Well if you want to drive around all the time with a big fat grin on your face... go for it. If you pick up a couple of Hawaiian print shirts........ well just drive around and have fun.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt even test drive my JK...I just signed and drove away.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
A few years ago we purchased an RV under the idea that 1) we will never be in a situation where buying an RV is not a financial burden and 2) we should do it now while the kids are young. That was an awesome decision that I have never regretted. We are still paying for it but we are still enjoying it many times a year, every year with no end in site. I wonder if I can apply the same logic to the Wrangler.
Does a bear sh#t in the woods?

Seems totally logical to me
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Buy it buy it buy it....I've had jeeps since I've been driving from a cj to 2 yj's and now the jk, the only regret that I have is that my fiance loves it so much she wants me to buy her one that's an auto (she can't drive a stick yet).
Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

I did a test drive on a Sahara 6spd. but I knew I wanted a Rubi.

I knew there was a reason I worked my ass through college...no student loans, time to have fun with the JK!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Food, clothing, shelter, and insurance are overratted. Get the Jeep!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been there, done that, purchased my JK 5 months ago.

8 years ago we built a pool in the backyard “for the kids”
5 years ago we purchased a RV “for the kids” to go camping.
The wife had (all new) a 1997 Grand Prix, then 2000 Chevy Astro, then 2003 GM Yukon XL, now 2008 Chevy Malibu. All the while I’ve kept my 1997 Chevy 1500 pick-up and been dreaming of getting a Wrangler.

Do it! You won’t regret it

Quick Reply: I test drove a Wrangler today.