Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I Need your help convincing my dad to be part of the Jeep Family

Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need your help convincing my dad to be part of the Jeep Family

My dad is finally convinced (thanks to me) of how crappy his H3 is. so he's in the market for a new car. The problem is, he's leaning toward Japanese SUV's like Infinity and Nissan. I realy like the 2011 Grand Cherokee and I think it will fit him well. Beside the fact that it's a Jeep the car is very well rounded for someone who practicaly never leave the city. He's scared about Jeeps reliability since I've always driven Jeeps and we had some big mechanical problems on my old KJ (the engine was rebuild after 50k). I know Jeep has made big improvements in the new GC.

I'm draging him tomorow to the dealership so he can take a look in person, but he seems so unconvinced. So please any arguments, ideas I could use to make him buy it?

1) Price is waaay within budget
2) Off road capabilities would be the last arguments he would like to hear since most hardcore "wheeling" the car is gonna see is parallel parking on a sidewalk

Thanks for helping me out, I realy want my dad to understand this Jeep thing!!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show him all the different options and accessories that are out there for a JK. Tell him that he can even get a HEMI installed if he wanted. Good luck and may the Jeep be with you.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Well the 2011 Cherokee has won TONS of awards for design and performance in US trade pubs. It has nearly 300HP. It has a classic Jeep look while being modern. I've driven in one and they are smooth as silk on the road. They have very decent 4x4 capabilities for off roading. Last but not least, engineered, designed and built in America.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've owned an Infiniti before (M35x) and can say that Nissan/Infiniti makes some kick a** engines. Tons of power and speed. Not the greatest on gas but they are a blast to drive. If he is considering something like the FX SUV (or the Murano), he will probably love driving it. However, its small and a gas guzzler. If he is looking at something bigger like the Pathfinder, I can tell you my neighbor has one and hates it. it drives like a boat and he has had tons of issues. Going up even bigger you get either the Armada or the Infiniti QX56. Gigantic!! The QX doesn;t feel so big and actually has great power but the stated mpg vs. actual experience makes the Wrangler's mpg look like a hybrid.

Yes I am a a fan of Nissan/Infiniti, HOWEVER, I love my Jeep and would never consider going back. Now, if you can get your father behind the wheel of the new Grand Cherokee with the pentastar engine, I think he will get something that can rival the power and (almost) speed of the Infiniti SUV's. I had the opporuntiy to drive one for a few days and loved it. It's nowhere near as refined as the Infiniti nor does it have all the special features, but they do come with just about everything most sane human beings need!

Honestly, the GC I drove was the first American car that felt like it had a Japanese engine in it. To me, most American cars sound louder, looser...tough to explain... Japanese cars always feel like their engines are tight and running with 100% efficiency. The GC I had felt like a japanese engine....I was very much impressed. I want my wife to get one but she does not want to get rid of her Honda CRV..

Oh, and if he really wants power, he can always upgrade to the larger GC engine...that will give him a nice boost!

One more thing to keep in mind, depending on what Infiniti/Nissan he would be looking at, premium gas might be required. My M35x "recommended" premium but I could get away with regular. the larger 8cy Infiniti engines all require premium which makes that SUV option way more expensive in both overall cost to buy plus cost to own.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Well, I've owned an Infiniti before (M35x) and can say that Nissan/Infiniti makes some kick a** engines. Tons of power and speed. Not the greatest on gas but they are a blast to drive. If he is considering something like the FX SUV (or the Murano), he will probably love driving it. However, its small and a gas guzzler. If he is looking at something bigger like the Pathfinder, I can tell you my neighbor has one and hates it. it drives like a boat and he has had tons of issues. Going up even bigger you get either the Armada or the Infiniti QX56. Gigantic!! The QX doesn;t feel so big and actually has great power but the stated mpg vs. actual experience makes the Wrangler's mpg look like a hybrid.

Yes I am a a fan of Nissan/Infiniti, HOWEVER, I love my Jeep and would never consider going back. Now, if you can get your father behind the wheel of the new Grand Cherokee with the pentastar engine, I think he will get something that can rival the power and (almost) speed of the Infiniti SUV's. I had the opporuntiy to drive one for a few days and loved it. It's nowhere near as refined as the Infiniti nor does it have all the special features, but they do come with just about everything most sane human beings need!

Honestly, the GC I drove was the first American car that felt like it had a Japanese engine in it. To me, most American cars sound louder, looser...tough to explain... Japanese cars always feel like their engines are tight and running with 100% efficiency. The GC I had felt like a japanese engine....I was very much impressed. I want my wife to get one but she does not want to get rid of her Honda CRV..

Oh, and if he really wants power, he can always upgrade to the larger GC engine...that will give him a nice boost!

One more thing to keep in mind, depending on what Infiniti/Nissan he would be looking at, premium gas might be required. My M35x "recommended" premium but I could get away with regular. the larger 8cy Infiniti engines all require premium which makes that SUV option way more expensive in both overall cost to buy plus cost to own.
Thanks a lot for the input. In fact he is considering the fx35 as an option. But he will be getting it used for the same price of a brand new GC straight out of the dealership (warranty...) + he's been driving a H3 for almost a year and a half, so in term of power, refinement and fuel economy the GC will be a HUGE improvement.
BTW it's so true what you said about engines, you can guess if it's American or Japanese just by the sound of it!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

After putting the lift and 37's on my rig, my buddy who owns an H3 is seriously considering buying a Rubicon this year

Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is tough. I own a JKU but I also own an Infiniti (G37S) coupe.

The Infiniti numbers will wallop the Grand in HP, even with the hemi. A 6 in the Infiniti is 305 hp, while the 8 is right at 400. AND the reliability is going to stomp the Grand.

The decision comes down to price point. Does he want to save some money and get a great vehicle, or does he want to spend big bucks and get a great vehicle.

The Grand is made more for the outdoor type while the FX is made more for the performance SUV crowd. Good luck with the sell. However, he could give you a big boost in continuing your education if he buys a Grand rather than the top end FX!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sit him in front of the computer, give him a six pack of his favorite beverage, and pull up this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...irlfriend-NSFW

If that doesn't convince him, he has bigger problems
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
This is tough. I own a JKU but I also own an Infiniti (G37S) coupe.

The Infiniti numbers will wallop the Grand in HP, even with the hemi. A 6 in the Infiniti is 305 hp, while the 8 is right at 400. AND the reliability is going to stomp the Grand.

The decision comes down to price point. Does he want to save some money and get a great vehicle, or does he want to spend big bucks and get a great vehicle.

The Grand is made more for the outdoor type while the FX is made more for the performance SUV crowd. Good luck with the sell. However, he could give you a big boost in continuing your education if he buys a Grand rather than the top end FX!
Before I bought my M35, I wanted the g35 (the 37 came out the following year). fastest car I've ever driven! The M35 had the same engine but less HP (mine was 285hp I believe) than the G and it was bigger so not quite as fast! Had to do the M in order to fit the car seats... The newer M's have more HP but still fall short of the G's

The FX35, if that's what the OP father is considering will be a tough ride to duplicate in a Jeep. Plus, the interior is full of such wonderful technology! However, the somewhat funky exterior design, the gas guzzling engine (the expected mpg decreases siginifanctly once you drive it and find out how much power there is!) and small size should be potential negatives for the Infiniti. However, going with the FX35 over the FX45 means he can get away with 87 octane gas.

For the Jeep, I would sell the new engine (which can't 100% compete with the Infiniti 6cy but can definitly hold its own), the larger size compared to the FX, the "reported" better mpg (although it really comes down to how hard he drives) and the 4x4 (or AWD) capability vs the FX. The Jeep will win hands down is EVERY situtation where 4wd is needed. The FX is basically a car with a weird design whereas the GC is still an SUV.

And without pissing off Jeep lovers here.....whichever one he goes with, he will love. We all love Jeep but Infiniti makes some awesome vehicles! I do miss my M35x engine.....wish I could fit it in my JK!

Quick Reply: I Need your help convincing my dad to be part of the Jeep Family