Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I need some advise.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advise.

I recently purchased a 2011 Unlimited Black Ops. I love my Jeep but am looking for a soft top. I would really like to get a Trek Top but a friend offered me a OEM soft top from his 2008 with a year use for $300. He says it has both clear and tinted windows. Is this a price I should jump on or just save up for the Trek Top?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:43 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Save for the Trek Top, you have a Special Ops Jeep, go with the nicer upgrades.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would save for the trektop at that price... few reasons.

1) I just bought a OEM soft top off of a 2011 for $300
2) from 2007-2009 the soft tops have an extra "channel" over the doors that needs for the soft top to snap into, so each time you want to drop the top or flip the sunrider back you would have to undo it. the 2010-12 sof ttops dont have this and are cable driven to hug the channels, so if you are wanting OEM then look for one of the newer models
3) from my understanding, the older model tops have a tendency to leak more then the newer model tops.

The trektops look great, cant fold them down which is a bummer but the windows are removable and doesnt seem to be to hard to get it either rolled back or flipped back to give you the same feel as being topless.

save up $
Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy the trektop nx not the first gen. I just bought the first gen yesterday because I sold my hardtop last week. the first gen door surrounds are made of metal rebar and give the appearance that bestop design and marketed the first gen in under a week. The NX has more factory like door surrounds and better fit all around. The guy at 4 wheel parts ordered me the NX and told me to sport the first gen till the new one comes in next week.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy them both.

I started with the Hard top. Couldn't stand it.
Bought a Trek top and used it for 2 years. Basically wore it out.
Found a factory soft top on Craig's List. I'm using it now and love it.
I am planning to get my trek top fixed up (velcro straps broke) someday....or buy another.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with trek

Quick Reply: I need some advise.