Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I need Jeep Guru's opinions

Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Jeep Guru's opinions

I have my first jeep, which is a 2dr stone white rubi. I am going to put it in my garage because i commute so far, the mileage is getting rediculous, and start building it for a toy, but my question is------- I have a pretty good deal on a 1987 YJ 6cyl. What are some good and bads about the YJ, and TJ. I really cant compare being i've only had a jk, which besides the water leak in the top they cant get right, i love it. Im lovin the jeeps and will have another for plowing, work and what ever comes along the way. Any advise would be great! Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no guru....but I have owned an 81 CJ and a 99 TJ.
I say if you found a good deal.....get it! You can never have too many jeeps.
IMO the YJ was the lesser of all the more recent jeeps, but parts are plentiful and it's still a jeep.
The YJ's interior is still a personal favorite. I liked the dash arrangement. Also an 87 will have the cool CJ-style rear roll bar angle. Also a fave.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

I actually used to own an '87 YJ, it was my first Jeep

Other than the normal things that come with a 21+ year old vehicle the YJ differs from new Jeeps in that:

YJs have leaf springs (vs. coil springs in TJs and JKs)
An '87 YJ is going to have a carb instead of fuel injection.
An '87 YJ has 4.2L inline 6 instead of a 4.0 in the latter YJs and TJs, or the 3.8 in the JK.

I kinda like the dash layout of the YJs, and you will find plenty of after market parts for them as well.

If the vehicle is mechanically sound and is a good price I would consider it. However I have seen several '97 TJs going for around $7,500... so I would at least take that into consideration.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

well i found one that has a rebuilt 6cyl with 25000 miles on it. 5 speed, hard top, body has no dings or rust. winch, newer alterrian tires, seat is ripped, windshield cracked, but 95% is great. He wants 2200.00 and i believe i can get it for 2000.00. I think its a good deal. Now how is the comparison between the 4.2 and 4.0 motors?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO....A motor is a motor. Most I-6 motors are good to go.
Just be prepared for the carb-drama.
Different animal than Fuel Injection.
But I say go for it!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by A'sJK
But I say go for it!
x2 on that. Sounds like a good deal.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know from personal experience (never off-roaded with a carb) but more experienced people have told me it's better to have fuel injection when off-roading. Apparently when on a hill the carb can end up starving due to the angle. Otherwise, YJ or TJ they're both great. I prefer the TJ looks but that's just me. Also it was a lot easier replacing coil springs than leaf springs. I've done both.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Go for it man! If it will work for your needs and it is in the shape you say it is it seems like a great deal at $2000.

oper8er, catchy. Hey are you a SWAT guy or a tactical guru? "Operator" is what we call all of our swat dorks who take that shit (actually themselves) too serious. We actually call them "Ocean 1" or Ocean 14" depending on their seniority on the team. The sooner they learn to laugh at themselves the sooner everyone will forget and move on.....

PS: If you happen to be some badass Seal or something don't kick my ass.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by oper8er
well i found one that has a rebuilt 6cyl with 25000 miles on it. 5 speed, hard top, body has no dings or rust. winch, newer alterrian tires, seat is ripped, windshield cracked, but 95% is great. He wants 2200.00 and i believe i can get it for 2000.00. I think its a good deal. Now how is the comparison between the 4.2 and 4.0 motors?
Dude, if I had the money I would get it. In fact a week ago I would be asking where I can pick it up if you don't. (See my no mods for me post in anything and everything and you will understand)
Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

No Ctimrun, I am a operating engineer, in the local 150. Heavy machinery. Not quit as bad a$$ as a seal, but my toys are more destructive!

Quick Reply: I need Jeep Guru's opinions