Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I met a real life H2 owner...

Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I met a real life H2 owner...

...and he was actually kinda cool.

I was walking out of the liquor store and I notice a steel blue H2 parked in the spot in front of mine 'kissing' my Jeep. Then I noticed an older guy and his son pointing at my Jeep and talking.

I walked up and pulled my keys out and the guy immediately starts talking to me about my Jeep. I could tell he really liked it, he guessed my tire size and lift height correctly, told me he was secretly planning on giving his son a Jeep as a gift this weekend, and generally just wanted to see and learn about my Jeep.

He talked about how he takes his H2 off-road every once in a while to which I let him know that I was glad he didn't have 20" chrome 100 spoke rims. I could tell he was definitely a proud Hummer owner, but as he was telling me a story how he went to a Hummer function that reminded me of the Jeep Jamboree his called his H2 a Jeep at least 4 or 5 times He told me about how he was romping through the mud pits and stuff. Apparently he won the "can't tell what color your vehicle is" award because he had gotten it so dirty.

I talked with the guy for about 15 minutes in the parking lot. All in all I got a little more respect for H2 owners that treat their vehicles like off-road SUVs.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeepSky
...and he was actually kinda cool.

I was walking out of the liquor store and I notice a steel blue H2 parked in the spot in front of mine 'kissing' my Jeep. Then I noticed an older guy and his son pointing at my Jeep and talking.

I walked up and pulled my keys out and the guy immediately starts talking to me about my Jeep. I could tell he really liked it, he guessed my tire size and lift height correctly, told me he was secretly planning on giving his son a Jeep as a gift this weekend, and generally just wanted to see and learn about my Jeep.

He talked about how he takes his H2 off-road every once in a while to which I let him know that I was glad he didn't have 20" chrome 100 spoke rims. I could tell he was definitely a proud Hummer owner, but as he was telling me a story how he went to a Hummer function that reminded me of the Jeep Jamboree his called his H2 a Jeep at least 4 or 5 times He told me about how he was romping through the mud pits and stuff. Apparently he won the "can't tell what color your vehicle is" award because he had gotten it so dirty.

I talked with the guy for about 15 minutes in the parking lot. All in all I got a little more respect for H2 owners that treat their vehicles like off-road SUVs.

You mean they're people too

Good to hear someone is mending the fences.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

We had some Hummers out with our club at Rc one day.

I give them credit for getting those monsters on the trail. Not to bash them, but they had some issues keeping up with the Jeeps.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Cool story! I actually do like H2's, I wanted one before we got the JK. I dont want one anymore though, love the JK too much. Most of the Hummer owners I know are pretty cool, even the ones with 22's(like my dad). The only thing that drives me crazy is when they start talking about how great they are off road and they have 22 or something on them. Give me a break, its never gonna see dirt, so why pretend that it does. My dad does this all the time. He'll start talking about the rear locker or the skids and I'll roll my eyes and call him on it. "Wanna play follow the leader?, Hold on dad, I'll get the keys to the jeep" I even offered to swap his stock wheels and tires back on it, he laughed and always says next time right..... The only thing better, is when my wife picks on his little moonroof, "Its a shame the whole top doesnt come off" and then he starts on the mini van motor.... good times
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

So is a gathering of hummers called an orgy?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
Cool story! I actually do like H2's, I wanted one before we got the JK. I dont want one anymore though, love the JK too much. Most of the Hummer owners I know are pretty cool, even the ones with 22's(like my dad). The only thing that drives me crazy is when they start talking about how great they are off road and they have 22 or something on them. Give me a break, its never gonna see dirt, so why pretend that it does. My dad does this all the time. He'll start talking about the rear locker or the skids and I'll roll my eyes and call him on it. "Wanna play follow the leader?, Hold on dad, I'll get the keys to the jeep" I even offered to swap his stock wheels and tires back on it, he laughed and always says next time right..... The only thing better, is when my wife picks on his little moonroof, "Its a shame the whole top doesnt come off" and then he starts on the mini van motor.... good times
haha, has he even taken you up on your offer? or taken it off road at all?

The one thing I respected about this guy was that he had the "its going off-road for fun and I'm not going to worry about scratching and getting it dirty" attitude.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an H2. Its probably been wheeled more than most of the JK's on this board. It got it first rock rash when it was 3 days old. For what it is, it is extremely capable. Its just not intended to do what my JK w/ 4" of lift and 37's does.

I'm taking it to the Jeep Jamboree at Inks Ranch here in a couple of weeks. How do you all think it will be recieved?
I won't be wheeling it, it will actually be towing my JK. With the 3/4 quarter ton drivetrain and a healthy 6.0 liter V8 it makes a decent short haul tow rig.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
haha, has he even taken you up on your offer? or taken it off road at all?

The one thing I respected about this guy was that he had the "its going off-road for fun and I'm not going to worry about scratching and getting it dirty" attitude.
nope, its a full blown pavement princess. Honestly that doesnt really bother me, it only bugs me when he talks about its off road capability. Any capability it had, went out the door with the 22's. But at least we do use it for hunting and alot of salmon fishing trips.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Personally the hummers are growing on me... Now I'll likely never own one and if i do it'd be an H1... the H2s just aren't my style... neat to look at, Fricken huge, and with the right drivers i'm always impressed at their offroad ability. especially considering how huge they are. The new H3 was the ugliest thing i ever saw when it first came out... but now i don't mind it as much anymore. I do Wish GM had bigger frames on them... the H2 seems like a bit much for a tahoe frame, and the H3 i would appreciate more than just the five cylinder motor (i think thats all thats available, but i'm kinda speculating on that so feel free to correct me.)

Anyway, jeeps are for me, always have been. I love me jeep and it shows. I call her Rubi (obviously short for Rubicon) and often refer to her as my topless overgrown dirty girlfriend after some fun in the mud... people look at me and i explain Rubi is my Jeep and the funny looks turn to laughs... But Hummers are a class of their own, as are Jeeps. I personally feel that a Jeep is the better base vehicle for an offroader, especially for myself, but others feel the hummer suits them better. Fine be me. I'd be happy to wheel with hummer owners, and even FJ owners when it comes down to it, i'll wheel side by side with anything cuz when it comes down to it, i don't know that many folks with anything capable offroad, and its never any fun to wheel alone, especially if you get stuck, or break something. so as long as it has four wheel drive, and you're willing to beat 'er up a bit, I'm happy to go wheeling with you.

Disclaimer: Please do not take this to mean i love FJs as i think they are hideous, and again i would never own an H2 or H3 or FJ, i just beleive to each his own, and its their money they can do what they want with it.

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 03-14-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know of Duke from another forum, both his H2 and his Jeep are done right.

Wheeling both rigs together is a blast. Even in the rocks where Jeeps have a lot of advantage.

The full size of the H2 and especially it's weight make it more work. The Jeeps articulation makes a big difference in the rocks also, they can put a tire down and get traction. The wheelbase with a lift helps too.

Hummers can wheel but they don't flex. The H2 is actually a modified Suburban frame, boxed with additional cross members added. The axles are 3/4 ton GM. The angles (approach, departure, and break-over) on the H2 are second only to the JK for 4x4's sold in America. H3's have a V8 option and are getting a front locker too next year.

Because of the lighter weight, smaller size, articulation, and stronger solid axles (you can hammer on a bit more), Jeeps can take less time through some obstacles. Wheeling rocks is generally slow anyway, so I haven't had to slow others down too much.

Cool Jeeper thread.

Quick Reply: I met a real life H2 owner...