Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I this jeep worth the money?

Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I this jeep worth the money?

Hello all. I am looking at a 2008 wrangler. It is at a dealer and when I called they said it was has a 6" skyjacker lift. Seeing the tires are 35 I dont think its that big. This is going to be a DD and I am aware of the possibility I will need to re-gear for the tires. This is about an hour away and I dont want to waste my time. Here is a link to it.

Cars for Sale: 2008 Jeep Wrangler X in Gainesville, TX 76240: Sport Utility Details - 331005129 - AutoTrader.com
Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4" lift maybe. If the tires have good tread then I'd say its worth a test drive. Make sure it has 3.73 gears or don't bother.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Well I'd take a better look and the tires look very small so it may have a 6 in. But the description makes it seem like its amazing. I'd take a better look. Go test drive it
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

With that much lift and those big tires you may need to replace driveshafts and axles along with the new gears. Just something to factor in to your costs
Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt look like 6" (Not that thats a bad thing). Seats look torn in one of the photos.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In any case, it's a good lookin rig
edit: i agree with above statement. A used, modded rig might have some wear and tare you don't know about. I prefer to build off something close to stock

Last edited by k0260; 10-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

A 6" lift already installed on a used Jeep that you plan on simply using as a DD means you're about to inherit a TON of problems, not to mention that's a ridiculously unnecessary amount of lift for 35's on what are most likely stock axles. It's only a matter of time before you'll need to replace both driveshafts and address the trackbar mounts.

Sure, the Jeep looks like a blast to drive and Skyjacker makes decent stuff, but you're really gambling on whether or not the previous owner beat the holy hell out of it or lifted it just for looks.

Either stay away or try to get the price dropped down a few grand because you'll eventually be putting money into this thing whether you want to or not.

Last edited by Spank; 10-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

You could also see if they will throw some kind of powertrain warranty into the deal, that covers this Jeep even with the lift and what not on it. Seems a bit high price wise to me. Maybe $1,500-2,000 less or they throw in a warranty. Just my $.02
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

Little things I noticed in the pictures that woudl concern me

Front drivers seat - looks extremely worn for less than 50K miles. I have twice that many miles with lots of short trips and mine is nowhere near that condition

Steering Wheel Cover - Why leave a steering wheel cover like that unless the steering wheel is really beat up

Why a seat cover on the rear seat, but not the front?

I know it's not much, but I have a feeling that thing has seen some very hard miles and if someone doesn't take care of the interior, how did they handle the rest of it? As others have said, you are likely to have a lot of extra costs, but do the homework, check it out and have an independent mechanic look it over before you make a decision. If everything checks out and/or you go into it know the possible issues, then at least you''re not surprised by them.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the tires are 35's so I think it's a 4in at the most. I also haven't seen any threads where people like on and off road performance of skyjacker. I too am curious about the steering wheel cover and back seat. Why leave the inside frankensteined? The lightbar looks cheap and I have only seen CB's in jeeps where 16-18yr friving or guys that use it one trails. either scenario = rode hard and put away wet.It won't be just a DD, I will use it as well, just not a toy only.? And where I am about to live, I'll need the four wheel drive just to get to work in the rain. I have a 2012 jku that is now my wife's and its pretty nice. I am debating on a new vs used. I searched 50 mile radius of DFW in Texas and found less than 10 used jeeps for under $20k. For $3k more I can get a brand one, and is be willing to pay for the warranty and no headache.

Quick Reply: I this jeep worth the money?