Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I have a theory about why Rubi's are always so shiney:

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am taking ur tone wrong, I'm just saying however theY use it modded or not. clean or dirty, There're paying for it
to each his own
Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I totally see where the OP is going. If I had the cash I would get a Rubi because i want the D44 up front and the Lockers. But I do love my X and it has done everything my buddy's Rubicon has done. Do wish I had the cash to properly lift it with driveshafts and gears and ...

Back to where I see where the OP is going, in my area people buy the Rubicon because it is the "best" of the Jeep world. They want the "best," yet they do not use the "best." They will rarely if ever let is see a dirt road, yet they will spend thousands in labor alone for someone to upgrade it into an unused warrior. Then they look at you funny when you give them the wave.

The OP is not talking about online poser shots -- hell I've taken those -- nor is he talking about keeping a Jeep dirty for a long period of time -- I wash mine after mudding too. I think the OP is simply stating that when he drives around his neck of the woods, he rarely if ever sees a Rubicon dirty; including the underbelly which should have some mud caked on for life or the belly pan which should have some scratches, etc.

I'm not against the Rubicon in anyway. I notice the same thing in my neighborhood because of the class of people that live here. Me, I'm an adventurer and bought my X to be used how it was designed to be used.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly, RM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default R.E.

Sounds like Rubi Envy to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P3072329.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	39380  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

What are you going to do to modify your X better than Chrysler? Keep it realistic. What are YOU going to do?
Replace the D30 with a 44 from a Rubi? No? You must be dumping $3000 - $5000 on something beefier.
Are you adding front and rear e-lockers? No? You must be adding cable actuated lockers.
What about the 4.10 gearing? Going up to 4.88 or 5.13?
How about the transfer case? Swapping in a used one from a Rubi? No? Must be dumping the cash on an Atlas.

You know you can do all the same mods on a Rubi, but have parts left over people will actually buy.

I would wage a friendly bet that my Rubi shows evidence of more trail riding than most. (pinstripes down to the metal, skid plates & bumpers have all lovingly touched a rock or two, rock rash on the wheels, rockers that have actually mashed down on rocks, etc...) And... I wash my Rubi and I wear a suit sometimes.

It's ok to take pride in your vehicle.

How do you know people are not using parts they add to their rig?

If my wife borrows my Rubi, does that change your opinion of what it's used for? Does that make her a soccer mom and my Rubi suddenly does not get wheeled?

My bro's wife uses their Sahara soccer mom style, but then sometimes he'll hit a trail and get 'er dirty on the weekend. Most of the time it never leaves the street. But, they sure do love dropping the top, throwing the surf boards in back and hitting the beach.

People who judge others for keeping their shit clean are just as bad as the yuppies that think we are white trash for having gnarley off road vehicles.

EDIT: I do realize that your area probebly has far more yuppies than my stomping ground, so it may be a bigger deal. Jeep on....

Last edited by shredX; 03-25-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX
People who judge others for keeping their shit clean are just as bad as the yuppies that think we are white trash for having gnarley off road vehicles.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

"People who judge others for keeping their shit clean are just as bad as the yuppies that think we are white trash for having gnarley off road vehicles."

x3
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
"People who judge others for keeping their shit clean are just as bad as the yuppies that think we are white trash for having gnarley off road vehicles."

x3
X4 that makes sense.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

"EDIT: I do realize that your area probebly has far more yuppies than my stomping ground, so it may be a bigger deal. Jeep on...."

Silicon Valley is yuppy central!! Rarely do you see a Rubi with the telltale signs of offroading. I shouldv'e said that rather than "shiny." You're right, you can offroad and keep your rig shiny. But around here Rubi's have no dents, scratches, small tears on their tires, dents on their shocks, scrapes on the under carriage, etc. etc. etc.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

These won't buff out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	39381
I can only remember three times washing my '07JK since I bought it new. I know I used wax on the hood once because it still has the residue on it...

Quick Reply: I have a theory about why Rubi's are always so shiney: