Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I have just one complaint...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little rust around the top of my door hinges as well (1 year old and 31000 miles) the dealer offered to replace the hinges or have the paint fixed on the existing. I didn’t think replacing the hinges was a good idea so they are fixing the paint and I am making nylon spacers to stop the hinges from rubbing together.
Other than that I have no issues with the paint job on mine.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

when you get the spacers made make a write up for it as i have this rust issue too
Old 04-18-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get the 3M clear front film or "bra". I got my Wrangler installed with the film right after I got it and so far through an entire mid-west winter with all the snow and salt I dont have one chip on the entire front end. The film is almost invisible and covers the front of the fenders (sahara only) the hood, grill and I got the head lights and fog's done also. I believe it cost me $290 to have it all done and Im so happy I did it. I have a black Wrangler and black shows the rock chips badly!! (I've always owned black cars/trucks)
Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine too. the paint and top has all kinda scratches on it. the paint is sub-standard.

oh crap wait i put all the scratches on it! damn its a jeep. i use it for what it was made for.

on the lighter side my hummer has excellent paint. not a scratch on it. only use it to go to mall.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not supposed to get scratches? its a JEEP those arent scratches they are pin stripes and I have PLENTY, they make me smile because they remind me of the day I was wheeling and just think I was pissed the first scratch I got on my durango. The drivers side of my jeep almost looks like someone keyed it

5000 miles on it and 6000 scratches

oh the clear coat is only 2 coats on new cars/jeeps...when I worked at bodyshop we always did 3 coats, that way you can buff/compound it more without burning thru to the paint
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC
... I am making nylon spacers to stop the hinges from rubbing together. ...
I was just putting the doors back on mine yesterday (yeah, I know, they should be coming off, but I'm headed to Wichita Mountains later this morning for some hiking and didn't want the Jeep left open at the trailhead). Anyway, I did a quick glance at the hinges and mine have some type of insert on each body-mounted hinge. I don't know if it's plastic/nylon, or what, but I don't have rust. Of course, vehicles don't rust much here in Oklahoma because they don't use much salt on the roads.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jeep Paint

As a professional paint/body repairman with 35 years experience I can accurately testify as to the type of paint job the average Jeep has. All jeeps are painted to a utility vehicle standard, under fenders, under trim panels, under roll bar padding do not have a full coating of color. This is NOT a defect or omission at the factory, it is a fact of life at the auto plants as a cost cutting measure. ALL vehicles I've ever worked on are painted the exact same way. Don't misunderstand what i'm saying, I know the lexus's and toyotas, etc,etc have more clear on them for depth of shine- but in the areas that are NOT open to easy view the paint application looks EXACTLY like your homely old JEEP......I am going to keep my digital camera at the shop and post up some pretty pictures of paintless Toyotas, VW's, Jaguars, etc,etc. The rustprevention coatings on your vehicle are applied long before the color coat is ever applied. The color is applied to get you to buy the things, the true corrosion protection is the steel coatings, and the E-coats. ANY and ALL paint jobs will chip and scratch if the rocks are hard and branches are close, on road or off, both foreign and domestic. Waxes and coatings are great if you have lots of time to kill but they will do NOTHING to protect against impact type damage(stone chips and scrapes).They are great for UV protection and liquid-borne contamination(bird crap, fallout , road film)..... Drive the hell of them- THAT'S what the JEEPS are made for!

Last edited by TINMAN080; 04-20-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: I have just one complaint...