Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Was I being unfair to the dealership?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I disagree: Dealerships are for-profit, and therefore there IS a fee to do a "dealer swap."

Dealerships are privately owned, and Jill's Jeep is unlikely to deal with Joe's Jeep for no profit... so if Joe's dealership has a customer with cash in hand, and needs to get a JK from Jill's dealership, he's going to have to offer up a deal that puts $$$ in Jill's pocket at the end of the day. Since there's a loss of $$$ involved for Joe, why shouldn't he pass along that loss to the customer?

It's just common sense: Whether they explicitly declare a "dealer trade" fee on the contract or not, you've got to realize that they ARE charging you whatever extra $$$ it's costing them to trade with the other dealership. They may bury that charge under a line item like "delivery charges" or something, but you're the one eating the $$$, not them.

Dealer trades are done invoice to invoice uness there has been accesories added to a vehicle. These would then be added on at dealer cost.

A dealer typically does not make a profit on a dealer trade.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When I bought my JK, the dealer told me there would be no additional charge to deliver any vehicle they found within 500 miles. He said they recover that from D&D charges already.
That is the same thing I was told by my dealer. Ultimately I got one ordered though.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got both of mine on the (x) plan associates program , which I think its either 1% below invoice or 1% over, but I believe they make up the dif elsewhere . and by the way they don't have to honor this , I think.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

I paid invoice. Every option that I ordered on the vehicle, I got at invoice (trailer tow pkg, infinity, 24s pkg). I remember finalizing the new price after adding on the tow pkg to my existing order. I made them give me the tow pkg at invoice (under $100, I believe) but the dealer tried to increase the Doc fee. I caught them and said "Whoa, what's this increase in doc fee here?." They made up some mumbo jumbo and then I pointed out that the doc fee they were charging was more that what is statutorily allowed under Michigan law. They tried to tell me that the law recently changed.

Then I pointed out to them that I was an attorney and I actually happened to have a copy of the statute with me. Needless to say, my doc fee was reduced. This was my first new car buy.

Quick Reply: Was I being unfair to the dealership?