Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hydrolocked The Engine! - Damn CAI

Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolocked The Engine! - Damn CAI

This story is really about wheeling alone (or without a winch) with a CAI installed.

Last Friday while killing some time in S. Jersey I decided to investigate some trails in the Woodbine area.

I traveled down Long Swamp Road (a dirt road) and proceeded to traverse several mud holes, when I entered the one closest to Washington Ave (going toward Washington Ave from Sunset Rd) the JK nosed in made a nice wave got about half way out the other side and stalled. I had previously been through this hole once in each direction.

Being with out winch or friend, (high lift jack now on xmas list) I opted for momentum over traction to get me thru. The wave made by my thrust going in (I was stopped prior to going in, did not approach it at speed) combined with my COLD AIR INTAKE are certainly what resulted in the hydrolocking!

Attempts to re-start the vehicle resulted in 1 click.

I called for a tow. The obligatory bang on the starter was useless.

Within an hour of being at the repair shop the plugs were out and any attempts to turn the crankcase manually were futile.

The good news is my insurance company (Nationwide) is covering the repair and since I have an OEM rider on my policy it is with a brand new block and heads direct from Chrysler! Their was never a discussion with the insurance company about what I was doing (although I did clearly state I was driving on a dirt road and never said I was off-roading since Long Swamp is an actual road). It was also great to have been taken to a Nationwide Blue Ribbon shop as their was no need for an adjuster to come out (I'm sure that could have resulted in some questions).

Ironically I was following my LG NAV the third time I went through the hole as I was on my way to my appointment and it directed my down Long Swamp Road (which is paved on the Sunset Rd end). I wonder if the trail your driving on when damage occurs is on a map if an insurance company could refuse to pay a claim?

So do I rely on a high lift and take water slowly and remove the CAI? I think my next mod will be to install a factory air intake! Sorry I just can't come to terms with the look of the snorkel!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Talking

That sucks... Glad it is covered.... but Now that 300 dollar snorkle may start to look good...... You can paint the River Raider on to hide it, but I like the lighthouse look of my AEV....
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

get a winch. I just picked up my new xrc8 for 250 bucks. can't beat it.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:34 AM
JK Jedi

At least you got it covered. But yeah, serious water/mud and CAI don't mix.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

What does a Jeep CAI look like, the ones I seen on cars are usually under the front bumper, as low as possible, useless idea for offroad.
A bonnet scoop might be better.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

looks like

basicly loose ALOT of protection from water that the stock airbox provides.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how a hi-lift is going to help you in that scenario. You could use it as a winch, but that would be a ridiculous amount of work.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, never try to restart your engine if it stalls when going through water.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is EXACTLY why I decided not to go with a CAI and just use the K&N replacement filter. Not as good as a snorkel, but WAY better than an open CAI IMO.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brisnut
What does a Jeep CAI look like, the ones I seen on cars are usually under the front bumper, as low as possible, useless idea for offroad.
A bonnet scoop might be better.
Here's mine installed. It sits in the same place as the stock airbox.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked The Engine! - Damn CAI