Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hydrogen System on the Jeep

Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derff96963
Why are you all stuck on this working? I really wish it would work. However I am an engineer and my job is usually think up ways to make things work. This one however would have to defy the laws of physics to work.

One reason I am being so adamant is the risk you are taking by trying this. The only way these can show results is but tricking the computer and leaning out the fuel mixture. That is VERY DANGEROUS. Here is a quote from Wikipedia

"Lean mixtures produce hotter combustion gases than does a stoichiometric mixture, so much so that pistons can melt as a result. Rich mixtures produces cooler combustion gases than does a stoichiometric mixture, primarily due to the excessive amount of carbon which oxidises to form carbon monoxide, rather than carbon dioxide. The chemical reaction oxidizing carbon to form carbon monoxide releases significantly less heat than the similar reaction to form carbon dioxide. (Carbon monoxide retains significant potential chemical energy. It is itself a fuel whereas carbon dioxide is not.) Lean mixtures, when consumed in an internal combustion engine, produce less power than does the stoichiometric mixture. Similarly, rich mixtures return poorer fuel efficiency than the stoichiometric mixture. (The mixture for the best fuel efficiency is slightly different from the stoichiometric mixture.)"

I actually saw a truck one time that had glowing red exhaust manifolds because the fuel filter was clogged and it was running lean. The odd thing was it ran just fine. You couldn't really tell by driving it. This could have caused major damage if it wasn't noticed when it was.
Well this would make for endless talk. But if you fuel ratio is lean of peak. Your cilinder temps will be lower.... No fuel, no heat. Fuel injected aircraft do great at lean of peak. Power drops off a bit bit fuel burn drops of quicker...

But you must have calibrated instuments to watch this.
your truck was it turbo boosted? It was running hot already... And the trucks exhaust was probably close to red to begin with.
Turbocharged aircraft are spooky to fly at night. The whole turbo and exhast system are glowing red... Theats normal... but spooky...
Old 09-20-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randyd
Well this would make for endless talk. But if you fuel ratio is lean of peak. Your cilinder temps will be lower.... No fuel, no heat. Fuel injected aircraft do great at lean of peak. Power drops off a bit bit fuel burn drops of quicker...

But you must have calibrated instuments to watch this.
your truck was it turbo boosted? It was running hot already... And the trucks exhaust was probably close to red to begin with.
Turbocharged aircraft are spooky to fly at night. The whole turbo and exhast system are glowing red... Theats normal... but spooky...
I don't know you get your information but a lean mixture DOES burn hotter. It doesn't make sense unless you understand the chemistry of the reaction and I an not about to try and explain it beyond the quote I pulled off of Wikipedia.

The truck was not turbo charged. It was a stock 95 Chevy 2500 with a 5.7L 350. This was not an isolated incident it happens all the time. People just don't normally notice it. He just happened to check the oil after getting to work since he just changed it and saw the glow. He freaked out as I would expect most would. All that was wrong was what I said, his fuel filter was plugged and it was running really lean. His dealer he called told him they have seen it many times and just change the fuel filter. He changed it and the problem went away.

A little lean won't really cause a major problem. However to get the results people are getting with their Hydrogen systems they have to be running really lean. That is where it gets dangerous.

Last edited by derff96963; 09-20-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Even though laws of thermodynamics are against this, I still would like to see results.

Though unfeasible with current technology, if you got the electricity for the system say via solar panels, wouldn't this work? I heard of a company that is working on cheap and efficient solar cells that instead og being printed on expensive pure silicon, it is printed on a metal foil (the exact metal i cannot think of right now) but these cells are flexible and hypothetically could go under say a clear coat on a car. Then your not using the system to power the system, you then have a solar/water/gas hybrid :-P

</random thought>
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ralthoff
Even though laws of thermodynamics are against this, I still would like to see results.

Though unfeasible with current technology, if you got the electricity for the system say via solar panels, wouldn't this work? I heard of a company that is working on cheap and efficient solar cells that instead og being printed on expensive pure silicon, it is printed on a metal foil (the exact metal i cannot think of right now) but these cells are flexible and hypothetically could go under say a clear coat on a car. Then your not using the system to power the system, you then have a solar/water/gas hybrid :-P

</random thought>
Before you or anyone goes to all this trouble, even with the flaky kit, I would suggest buying a bottle of said gas and try using it. Find out all the pitfalls, correft mixture, etc. See if it is worth all the problem in the first place.

If people do not pay attention to what they are doing, remeber this.......

Your Jeep may be the next Hindenburg. (sp)
Old 10-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Jeb
JK Enthusiast

A guy on my street has a Suburban 2500 (I'm guessing a ''96-'00) that he runs with the hydrogen conversion kit. I met him while walking my dog and he raved about it. (He had an HHO bumper sticker- so I inquired).

You guys should see this Hydrogen powered TJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=surJ4eaU894
Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Jeb
JK Enthusiast

By the way: I'm not attesting to the functionality of this kit based on a youtube video and some strager's word. Just offering a couple things I've heard about this subject.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

This thread keeps waning then someone has an aecdotal comment on the benefits. We have been waiting for months for the OP to test and report on the benefits or lack thereof. When someone who's been here a while tests and reports on a system like this with merrit, then maybe .............. There's plenty of "it works" , "no it doesn't" on the web.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Jeb
JK Enthusiast

Very true. I was thinking the ame thing. If it's as easy a fix as the guy in the youtube video makes it seem, then why would't this kit be more widre spread?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never even heard about it
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default HHO jeep

I have a HHO system in my 2008 wrangler. I made it myself and have been building them for over 4 years. Look at my videos on YouTube.com name is fmh2066. I do not sell these but I am showing how the system works. If you would like to get more info I will help the best I can. In also have a skype name as well. Wtfinc do not ever put more then 1 litre a min into the motor or you can cause it to over heat parts and cause the motor to fail. I have a computer hooked up to the jeep now to see what is going on inside. There are no problems. I live in Ohio but spend alot time in Texas. I will be happy to show the system to anyone that wants to see it in person.if you have questions in can do a video on that if I am able to do so.
James

Quick Reply: Hydrogen System on the Jeep