Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hybrid Engine Swap?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Weight and storage would be big issues. And the jerry cans are also dancing like sugarplums in my head. Well I think it's safe to say that a reasonable solution isn't going to be in production anytime soon. But given the state of things now, it's not a bad idea, in my opinion, to try and put some concepts together.

I just imagine the future full of electric cars running streets and then BAM! The shit hits the fan and nearly all of humanity is wiped out. And the only survivors are roaming the scorched planet in Jeeps crossing the vast deserted plains and crawling over hummer fossils.....not that I'd want that to happen. But cool Jeep movie no?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look up Jeep EV on you tube. Definately in the testing stage. If the US didn't have strick standards on diesels we could have a more efficient diesel like they have in their Wranglers overseas. Chrysler cant aford to shut down the diesel plant like VW did for a year to create a new block that will meet US standards...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm more on the line of take the two vehicle approach. I mean, I may be a different from others but in three or four years when I have my JK paid off, it's going to trail use and the occasional weekend drive only. Would I sell it? Hell no, my first "brand new car". It's special to me.

3 years down the road, things will be different, we may be on the verge of electric cars actually taking off. I wouldn't mind getting into an electric full size truck with my next purchase, who knows.

What I'm saying is, for those of you who use your Jeep as your daily driver and gas is kicking your ass because you have kids and other mounting expenses, I don't blame you for wanting to get out of it. However, for a guy like me who's only worry is making sure his girlfriend is taken care of and happy (And giving her a twenty dollar bill and letting her take her time in a goodwill seems to do the trick ) and making sure the bills are paid and food is on the table, my Jeep is more then my DD, it's my hobby. I guess that's why I'm not really concerned about the need for electric, as I just don't seeing it impacting me greatly, at least not with this vehicle.

Oh, and as for gas, I feel you NC boys, here in Boone, there is no Gas, hasn't been for close to a week now. If you need Gas you gotta camp at one of the Wilco Hess stations and wait for a truck to show up. They get about one load a day, limit purchases to $50 a person and it's gone in about two hours. Heh, times are great
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you were interested in mileage, why did you ever buy a Jeep?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
If you were interested in mileage, why did you ever buy a Jeep?
Have to agree. When you make the decision to by a Jeep, or any other vehicle that sucks down gas, you are making a conscious decision, weighing all the factors. If fuel consumption were really that important of a factor, and it was more important than having fun off road, then don't by a Jeep. Mine is a DD and a hobby, so I understand the need to compromise. In my case, an off road vehicle was more important than fuel economy, hence the Jeep. I feel for those of you where there is no or limited fuel available, but that has little to do with fuel economy. A Prius can go just as far as a Jeep when the needle is on empty. If a Jeep came with a hybrid engine, and it had comparable performance, I would consider it, but that was not and is not currently an option. If your situation changes, and fuel economy becomes that important, sell the Jeep and consider a less expensive hobby.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default yep

i'm getting me sum jerry cans and a peice of hose. ya'll betta lock ur gas caps
Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wagonofdoom
dude im soooo trading in my jeep when the 4 electric motor wrangler comes out
Ok, I'm taking you at your word. I am willing to trade my electric motorized Rubicon right here an now. PM me and we'll arrange a swap.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red
Have to agree. When you make the decision to by a Jeep, or any other vehicle that sucks down gas, you are making a conscious decision, weighing all the factors. If fuel consumption were really that important of a factor, and it was more important than having fun off road, then don't by a Jeep. Mine is a DD and a hobby, so I understand the need to compromise. In my case, an off road vehicle was more important than fuel economy, hence the Jeep. I feel for those of you where there is no or limited fuel available, but that has little to do with fuel economy. A Prius can go just as far as a Jeep when the needle is on empty. If a Jeep came with a hybrid engine, and it had comparable performance, I would consider it, but that was not and is not currently an option. If your situation changes, and fuel economy becomes that important, sell the Jeep and consider a less expensive hobby.
Ooh. I can answer that....... I bought it because I wanted another Jeep (my 6th) BUT.... my previous vehicle got 13.2 mpg on the highway. My Wrangler at around 20 average mpg kicks........well you know.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Fire
X's 2 on the space and weight issue pastor steve. The only reason the prius does well is because of those two factor. 2009 I think is the year maybe 2010 when the prius is going to have a solar panel on the roof to run some accessories like the A/C and such while driving.
It may run the fan, it'll never power the A/C, it'll power the lights in daytime (no headlights) radio, ?? tv, gauges and trickle charge, but that's about it. Not enough surface are and certainly not enough for any downtown area with high rises.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the pros vs cons, I really don't think a hybrid or electric jeep will ever be feasible.

I really wished the diesel wranglers would be available in the US. I would've definitely gone with that. Anyone know anything about the BlueTec diesel technologies? I think they have a Cherokee with one. Not sure if there are any plans for a production wrangler, or if the BlueTec is any good at all.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Engine Swap?