Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hybrid Engine Swap?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Engine Swap?

So what do you guys think? Would you do it for the better mileage? Or would you just trade in and get a hybrid?

I know that jeeps are jeeps and if you want a gas saver you should probably just buy a prius or something, but it would be nice I think if there could be a compromise of the two.

I hear that they have a Jeep EV. Is it true that the electric engine would deliver 100% torque efficiency? Does anyone know? Anyway, I guess you could consider this a soundboard for whatever your thoughts are on the subject. I'm not sure if there are any other threads of a similar topic.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

My vote is to just buy something else....but I do understand where your coming from....right now there is NO GAS in Charlotte, Mint Hill, Concord, or Matthews...not sure how it is in your part of NC...but...I haven't drivin in 4 days....it sucks....but I wouldn't lose the Jeep for nothing!

...the EV thing, from what I understand, is a over-all Chrysler rumor.....very very doubtful that it will be a Jeep at all...probably a mini van or sedan

Last edited by x No Compromise Offroad x; 09-28-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default EV???

no electric nor hybrid jeep at this time. there is a rumor that chrysler will be coming out with an electric or hybrid in 2010. The pix I saw were not in any way related to a jeep. If you want an electric vehicle for off road u might consider the BAD BOY. It is a fully electric utility vehicle hunters use because it has no exhaust noise nor the smell of exhaust fumes. Not practicle for on road use though.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

dude im soooo trading in my jeep when the 4 electric motor wrangler comes out
Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

If a gas/elec Jeep was to come out and would perform as good as ours do now, on AND offroad, I'd say bring it on...!!! Why not???
Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

keep dreamin fellas...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
My vote is to just buy something else....but I do understand where your coming from....right now there is NO GAS in Charlotte, Mint Hill, Concord, or Matthews...not sure how it is in your part of NC...but...I haven't drivin in 4 days....it sucks....but I wouldn't lose the Jeep for nothing!

...the EV thing, from what I understand, is a over-all Chrysler rumor.....very very doubtful that it will be a Jeep at all...probably a mini van or sedan

All the gas stations in Cary that I normally go to were totally out today. I was on my way to Durham and there was ONE station that had gas. Otherwise I wouldn't have made it home! It's ridiculous man. I still love my jeep though for sure. All I'm sayin is that it would be handy to just pop some D batteries into the back and go road tripping.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

If, if, if....while I would consider it if it would perform but............ the weight of the batteries (and where to store them in a vehicle with no extra space) would be a huge issue.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aznme1
All the gas stations in Cary that I normally go to were totally out today. I was on my way to Durham and there was ONE station that had gas. Otherwise I wouldn't have made it home! It's ridiculous man. I still love my jeep though for sure. All I'm sayin is that it would be handy to just pop some D batteries into the back and go road tripping.

I guess it's time to get a mount for a jerri can. I've tossing the idea around just because of that reason.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
If, if, if....while I would consider it if it would perform but............ the weight of the batteries (and where to store them in a vehicle with no extra space) would be a huge issue.

X's 2 on the space and weight issue pastor steve. The only reason the prius does well is because of those two factor. 2009 I think is the year maybe 2010 when the prius is going to have a solar panel on the roof to run some accessories like the A/C and such while driving.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Engine Swap?