Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Huge problem

Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch that hurts, at 7k I would definitely look into a hemi upgrade, if your needing a new engine might as well go all out
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Take it to an independent shop for a second opinion.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres no way I'm paying 7k to rebuild my 3.8 with 55000 miles
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hydrolocked mine 2 weeks after my first oil change. They threw in a new short block and started and it cost me 9 grand with tax and labor. You can try AEV for take out engines that they did hemi swaps for.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bullshit, let the rep tell you that. I had a friend who hydro locked his Chevy back in the 90s and the rep told the dealer its an off road truck and that happens. They put a motor in it. Only cost him a couple hundred bucks.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Hemi or LS
Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NJ-RUBICON
I I posted earlier that I almost hydro locked the motor and was getting a clicking noise. Took it to jeep to get it looked at and they said i prob cracked the cylinder and the housing and ect. They want to to do a full block repair. 7 grand. Any ideas
I followed your other post.

sucks ass the engine may be toast.
call all the junk yards and hit up AEV.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Does any one know where to get a Hemi and the final cost of putting one in. All parts and labor.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Also I looked at aev recently to see that Hemi swap. The 5 k is for just the instal kit right? Where do I see the price of the motor its self?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-RUBICON
Also I looked at aev recently to see that Hemi swap. The 5 k is for just the instal kit right? Where do I see the price of the motor its self?
I also think you should get a second opinion to make sure the short block is toast, since you mention a "clicking" noise (versus "clanking" /shrug) and that they used the word "probably". Maybe its in the heads/valve train and can be repaired without a swap.

I have seen prices from 13k to 20k for having someone do the work to find and install a V-8 for you, depending on if the engine/tranny are new or used.

There is someone who recently installed a hemi for around $6500, with a used motor/tranny and no complete kit.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...6-My-Hemi-swap

However, you should ask yourself; is this your DD and how long you can be without your Jeep?. Do you have the tools and a place to work available? Doing it on that kind of budget takes some research, innovation, and hunting for parts. I have done this on other vehicles. If you have a full time job/family to juggle, it can take weeks or months to get it back on the road unless you have thought of everything, and have it all in place before the surgery. Waiting for parts after the tear down...would suck if it's your DD.

Otherwise, I would check Burnsville, AEV, etc and see if they have any low mileage 3.8's laying around, and hunt for a competent shop to stick it in if you cannot.

That would probably be the fastest and least expensive way to have your Jeep fixed if it is your daily driver, if the motor is junk, and there is no way to get it warrantied/insured.

Last edited by Yankee; 02-14-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Huge problem