Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

how much will a 2d hemi tow

Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget overheating. The V-8 cooling system will have to reject add a lot more heat than the stock system. Unloaded or city / freeway driving may be fine. But even with an upgraded cooling system, it may not be able to handle the amount of heat generated by the V-8 under load.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think in this case the jeep will be able to tow the trailer. However, you have to ask yourself if its worth it to try. Towing on smooth flat roadway would not be too hard. Now try it on hilly, rough, or windy roads and it could be downright dangerous.

Again though you need to ask yourself if its work the risk. If you would get in a accident you could be found at fault for towing over the capacity of your vehicle. Even if you were not the cause of the accident. Another possibility is if a police officer decides what you are doing just doesn't look right and decides to check. Its quite a healthy fine and the trailer will have to be left there to be picked up by a suitable vehicle.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous JK was a 2dr with tow package. I used to pull an ATV trailer with 2 atvs and gear ~1500lbs and it was easy with no problems. I would use the factory specs for a 2Dr with tow package which is 2000lbs.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
My previous JK was a 2dr with tow package. I used to pull an ATV trailer with 2 atvs and gear ~1500lbs and it was easy with no problems. I would use the factory specs for a 2Dr with tow package which is 2000lbs.
I agree, adding a HEMI doesn't increase your towing capacity at all - it just makes it a lot easier on your engine at full load.

As has been mentioned, a lot of towing capacity has to do with wheel base and counter-weight. Both of which the JK is lacking in.

I'd pull a small boat or a pair of jetski's without reservation, but anything over that I think you'd be foolish, HEMI or not.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I agree, adding a HEMI doesn't increase your towing capacity at all - it just makes it a lot easier on your engine at full load.

As has been mentioned, a lot of towing capacity has to do with wheel base and counter-weight. Both of which the JK is lacking in.

I'd pull a small boat or a pair of jetski's without reservation, but anything over that I think you'd be foolish, HEMI or not.
This is pretty much right on. I remember reading in the owner Manual for my fathers truck(F250 Super Duty) that the tow rating is 10,500 lbs. It was the same whether if had the v8, the v10 or the Diesel. Its not just about the engine.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

I have pulled 2 large 4 wheelers with trailer(about 1800 pounds) . I felt very secure with that load. You would need to make sure the hitch weight is correct and you need to remember it is back there. The braking was definitely longer but trailed straight. I have a 4" lift, 35s and 4:88 gears with an auto. under 2000# and balanced out correctly you should be fine.

Quick Reply: how much will a 2d hemi tow