Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

how much will a 2d hemi tow

Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much will a 2d hemi tow

So how much would a 5.7l or 6.1L hemi 2dr tow?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Towing is not just power. You have to factor in frame rigidity. braking and wheelbase. A Hemi powered 2 dr. might "PULL" a house but doing it under control is the determining factor. Does this make sense?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rockos
So how much would a 5.7l or 6.1L hemi 2dr tow?
No matter what the Hemi will do you're going to be limited by the brakes, suspension and the hitch. I know I call pull start a GMC Truck in the mud no problem. A Dodge trucks with a 5.7L's are like 9000 lbs.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Yep, I have a Hemi Ram 2500 that can pull just over 10k but there is a big difference in components from brakes, suspension, frame and a tow hitch that can handle that kind of weight.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Ditto everything said, but with a 2 door, you are going to be severely limited by wheel base alone. Short wheel base truck are NOT good to tow trailers. Full size Blazers and Broncos sucked as tow vehicles because of the wheel base.

A short wheel base will lose control of a trailer immediately if it is not loaded with perfect weight distribution, or in any emergency stopping situation. If you have ever had it happen, you will never forget it.

Personally, with a short wheel base like the 2 door JK or the TJ, I would not tow anything more than a very small ski boat. Regardless of the horsepower. And even then I would be very careful. I have towed everything from small utility trailers to large fifth wheel trailers, and large trailerable boats.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by capt scotty
Towing is not just power. You have to factor in frame rigidity. braking and wheelbase. A Hemi powered 2 dr. might "PULL" a house but doing it under control is the determining factor. Does this make sense?
yes it does...the real question is will it tow two watercraft...each weights about 800 ilbs plus trailer...fuel etc.

i know the 4dr will with the 3.8l but the 2dr is not normally rated too.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SONIC
define watercraft?
honda fx-15
Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi

I would say it still would be limited to about the same amount that is stated from the factory as a result of all of the reasons already mentioned.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SONIC
i have towed two 3 seater seadoo's with my 4cyl YJ. the power is fine.
The problem is they are just too heavy, and the wheelbase is too short. They push down on the back, and the front goes up, your steering sucks and if you have to hit the brakes hard its BAD. on several occasions i have almost wrecked because i had to slam on the brakes. And i only towed them 10 miles or so.

This is true, in a panic stop the weight of the trailer shifts forward and then down on the hitch, which makes the tow vehicle (especially short wheelbase) want to porpose up in front, not good for braking or steering control.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

Rear sway bar, e-rated tires and heavy duty springs and I would be OK to about 3500lbs.

The trailer weight isn't so much that it makes this about power, but stability on a 2 door. Definitely asking for trouble if you have a tongue weight over 500lbs.

Quick Reply: how much will a 2d hemi tow