Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How much 4x4 is enough?

Old 09-09-2021, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much 4x4 is enough?

I have had my Sahara for 2 years and I want to start having more fun with it. I have retired and now want to explore, run through the desert, use on easy or moderate trails, overlanding, etc. I have absolutely no interest in crawling over rocks and boulders-none at all, My 2017 runs perfect on the road and I hate to trade it but it does not have Dana axles or Trac-Loc.or the more rugged features. I don't know how much capability my Sahara has and I don't know how much I really need and I don't want to be stranded out in the desert because in should have had more 4x4.

So the question is; Do I need to sell it or trade up to a Rubicon or something with more 4x4 capability or can I just put a lift kit, 35 in tires on my Sahara and go have fun?

Any ideas from you people who have done this for years?

Many thanks!!!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

That jeep is way more capable than you think it is. Most of what you might think you need to do things is really geared more towards technical wheelin in the rocks IMO. For what it sounds like what you enjoy doing, good recovery gear, good tires, and probably a regear for the larger tires would be appropriate. You could always throw in a couple TruTracs for additional traction, but it doesn't sound like you really need full lockers for your use. You definitely don't need the rubicon 4:1 transfer case, and the electronic disconnect is junk anyhow.

A lot of what people fear with a D30 is regearing and adding a locker.....and you just keep moving the weak point of the axle further in to the pinion gear. It's not a terrible axle and it's fine for what you are looking to do. Adding a limited slip like a trutrac could be perfectly fine for you and give you just that extra bit of traction you might need in the back country.

What part of Texas are you in?

Last edited by resharp001; 09-09-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Many years ago someone posted a video on here from about 100 years ago. It was something like a Model T and it was going through ridiculous mud and obstacles.
My brother has some trails around his house and has built some obstacles. It's amazing what could be done even with a vehicle like a Dodge Omni. We beat the crap out of that thing through the woods and over hills. So yes, your Jeep is much more capable than you think.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Go have fun with what you have. If you get stupid-heavy on the rig like I've done, then think about upgrades to those axles. But, otherwise, just have some decent off-road tires, ensure you have the skills for the places you wish to go, and go have a blast. Look at me, I'm 71 years old and have 277,000 miles on my 2007 Jeep JKU X (a Sport by any other name) ...

Old 09-10-2021, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I own a Sahara JK and JKU. Honestly for what you describe the Sahara is fine. Tires would perhaps be the only thing, maybe a set of BFG KO2's but there are plenty of good tires out there that will fit. On my more off road oriented JK I have a Mopar 2" factory lift, Fox steering stabilizer upgrade, Pro Comp wheels with better offset to handle the BFG KO2 35's, front bumper upgrade and winch. Have not had any problems running trails near me. My JKU is more street oriented, basically stock except for an upgrade to Bilstein shocks and 33" General Grabber HTS tires that came off the JK when I bought it used. I wheel that Jeep as well without issues, but no rock crawling per se other than some slick rock on the way into a friends cabin.

Your Jeep has a Dana 44 rear axle already, no lockers though but again from what you are describing I'm not 100% sure other than running perhaps in deep sand that you need upgrades. But there are lots of options as Resharp mentions.

If you have the $$$ burning a hole in your pocket go for it I suppose but right now used and new Jeep prices are nuts up here in Canada and I hear in the States as well so I personally would wait until the market cools off.

Quick Reply: How much 4x4 is enough?