Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How many miles on your pentastar?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 JKU Sport 18122. Only one issue so far.
Loose sway bar links before I hit 3K
As far as the Pentastar I noticed and brought it up to the dealer, she like to run between 200-215. I have a laser pyrometer that tells me the levels are much lower on the outside of the motor.
I am 85% satisfied to this point.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

2011 jk with 104k miles, no serous problems.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RamseyPantaleon
2011 jk with 104k miles, no serous problems.
Again - another post that isn't a pentastar as the OP was asking.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

About to turn 55,500 on my 2013 with no issues so far. Seeing the 2017's roll out has me feeling like mine is getting old fast. A year ago I picked up a POS commuter car just to help keep some miles off it.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM
CJ8
JK Newbie

Thumbs down So dissapointed...

So I bought a brand new 2013 JKUR March of 2013. I looked at them for over a year and after watching YouTube Jeep videos in bed at night for months on end my wife made me a deal. If she let me get one I would have to stop watching the videos. I made the deal (I had my fingers crossed the whole time) and after a few weeks of looking found the one I wanted. I did want the 10th anniversary but they hadn’t hit the dealers yet. I found one that literally had every option offered. Two weeks after I bought it I added wheel spacers, leveling kit, winch bumper and Warn Zeon 10K, light bar and a soft top among a bunch of other goodies. I changed the oil without fail every 7,500 miles and used only Mopar filters and Pennzoil 5W-20 full synthetic oil. Until I hit 49K I only had to deal with a couple of recalls and a water pump failure for the most part all of which didn’t bother me. BUT 4 months ago that all changed. Below is an all-inclusive list of what has been done to my Jeep. I could not be more disappointed. The dealer has tried everything they know and reached out to the “STAR” group at Chrysler for assistance. Chrysler has basically ignored them for a month. I will always be a Jeep guy, but I doubt I will ever buy a new one as long as Fiat and Chrysler keep putting this engine in them.

1. Creak in windshield frame (I finally fixed myself after umpteen visits to the dealer). Dealer gouged door and had to fix and repaint (passenger side front door)
2. Water pump replaced
3. Idler pulley replaced
4. Mirror wiring recall fixed
5. Transmission line recall fixed
6. Oil pressure sensor replaced @49,000 miles
7. Oil pump replaced @ 50,000 miles
8. At 53,000 miles the engine developed a misfire in No. 1 Cylinder causing rough idle and Check Engine Light. Below is what the dealer did to try to fix the problem in chronological order.
a. All spark plugs replaced
b. No. 1 cylinder coil replaced
c. Wiring harness was checked for broken / corroded wires and connections
d. According to dealer leak down test failed on No. 1 Cylinder so right head was replaced
e. Replaced No.1 cylinder fuel injector
f. Replaced PCM Module
g. Replaced crank position sensor

As of this moment my Jeep is still at the dealer. I dropped it off late January and it is now March 16th. I love my Jeep and truthfully the early problems were just an annoyance. When she hit 49K the engine pooped the bed on me. I have lost all confidence in this thing. I have always been a Jeep guy. I have had several Jeeps and still have my 81 Scrambler. I commute ~ 110 miles per day so I need something that I can get a lot of miles out of and I live in the sticks so I need a capable vehicle for our winters. Life experiences and this JKUR have taught me never to say never. I really never did think there would be a day when I would even consider a Toyota… I fear that day may be at hand. It actually pained me to type that…
Old 03-16-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry for your pain. You obviously got a bad one. My 2012 jku Sport turned over 85,000 trouble free miles this afternoon.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

In about 500 miles I will be at 100k with my 2013 that I purchased new in May of 13. Most of the miles are highway from my previous job, and now only about doing 30-35 miles per day. No problems at all with the motor. Have had the dealership do the oil changes since new when they used to have the 4 oil changes for $65 ( seems they stopped that last year ) I purchased the Max Care warranty, just under 48k and it has paid off, heater core, radiator, oil cooler replaced last year for sludge. Great dealer in NJ ( and my salesman told me to have this one guy there do the work on it because he is meticulous, and he is! ) I do the diffs myself, other than that I let them deal with it. Want to have new plugs put in, I used to do this type of thing myself, but no limited work space right now...so, I may bite the bullet and have them do it, not sure
its necessary to do wires yet, and I should probably do the serpentine belt. Should I have the trans fluid changed? Hoping the water pump doesn't give out anytime soon too. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-16-2017, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So far nearly 80K on my 2012.

Mostly trouble free with the exceptions of recall work (#2 cylinder head misfire, still waiting on clockspring parts to arrive, etc.).

Still modding it out like crazy and damn glad it's paid off.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
CJ8
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tks66
In about 500 miles I will be at 100k with my 2013 that I purchased new in May of 13. Most of the miles are highway from my previous job, and now only about doing 30-35 miles per day. No problems at all with the motor. Have had the dealership do the oil changes since new when they used to have the 4 oil changes for $65 ( seems they stopped that last year ) I purchased the Max Care warranty, just under 48k and it has paid off, heater core, radiator, oil cooler replaced last year for sludge. Great dealer in NJ ( and my salesman told me to have this one guy there do the work on it because he is meticulous, and he is! ) I do the diffs myself, other than that I let them deal with it. Want to have new plugs put in, I used to do this type of thing myself, but no limited work space right now...so, I may bite the bullet and have them do it, not sure
its necessary to do wires yet, and I should probably do the serpentine belt. Should I have the trans fluid changed? Hoping the water pump doesn't give out anytime soon too. Any other suggestions?

I didn't go into into great detail, but I actually did the oil pump sensor and the plugs myself. I was just trying to simplify a cobbled up mess of a post. The plugs aren't bad. You do have to pull the intake plenum to get the plugs on the left bank. I cussed Jeep a little when I found that out. It wasn't bad though. It took me a couple of hours to do all 6 and get it back together. They did do a great job designing the intake gaskets though and cheap. When you get your plugs go to the dealer and pick a set up for about $6. You mentioned wires, there aren't any. The coil packs have what used to be spark plug wires integrated. Another design I liked. I don't know how many times wet spark plug wires have left me in some not so great situations lol. With the new design you would have to flood the Jeep to get your SP wires wet. You have fared out much better than I have. I was planning to run the wheels off of mine then bolt them back on and ride it some more. There have been so many hands in the guts of my engine that I am scared of it now. I am trying to pressure them into a new engine. I am supposed to find out Monday if that is going to happen. The rest of my Rubi is awesome... unfortunately that isn't good enough.

Last edited by CJ8; 03-16-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tks66
In about 500 miles I will be at 100k with my 2013 that I purchased new in May of 13. Most of the miles are highway from my previous job, and now only about doing 30-35 miles per day. No problems at all with the motor. Have had the dealership do the oil changes since new when they used to have the 4 oil changes for $65 ( seems they stopped that last year ) I purchased the Max Care warranty, just under 48k and it has paid off, heater core, radiator, oil cooler replaced last year for sludge. Great dealer in NJ ( and my salesman told me to have this one guy there do the work on it because he is meticulous, and he is! ) I do the diffs myself, other than that I let them deal with it. Want to have new plugs put in, I used to do this type of thing myself, but no limited work space right now...so, I may bite the bullet and have them do it, not sure its necessary to do wires yet, and I should probably do the serpentine belt. Should I have the trans fluid changed? Hoping the water pump doesn't give out anytime soon too. Any other suggestions?
what shop in NJ? I am in Brick. I use a a shop in Lakewood for recall work. I hate them. They flat out lied to me, told me all my fluids needed to be replaced, not knowing that I replaced them all the week before.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your pentastar?