Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How many miles per gallon in your JK?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14mpg combined city\highway

AUTO, 5:38 gears, KM2 35's, CAI, 87\tow tune, TF long arm, and a light foot
Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Im guessing Socal hills are killing me... I TRIED to take er easy and only get 19 hwy... stock 2011 rub-unl...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

14 around town and 16.5 on highway trips.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm getting a consistant average right now of 22 to 23 MPG.

2008 JKU stock, auto, 3:73's, soft top down as much as possible, easy on the gas and 85% of my DD commute is highway....will be interesting to see what happens when the hard top goes on and colder weather set it.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

How is everyone who are getting 20+ MPG doing it? I have an '08 2 door, stick, w/33'z and average 16.5 mpg. I check every tank, the old fashioned way; miles divided by gallons, even on long hiway runs, I barely scratch out 18 mpg. Just wonderin' why there is such a big difference between jeeps with the same motor. What can a guy do to improve milage? I know, I didn't buy it for it's great gas milage, but with the price of fuel if I could improve it I would.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by huntrz
How is everyone who are getting 20+ MPG doing it? I have an '08 2 door, stick, w/33'z and average 16.5 mpg. I check every tank, the old fashioned way; miles divided by gallons, even on long hiway runs, I barely scratch out 18 mpg. Just wonderin' why there is such a big difference between jeeps with the same motor. What can a guy do to improve milage? I know, I didn't buy it for it's great gas milage, but with the price of fuel if I could improve it I would.

I should have added that I calc my MPG with each fill up, not based on the eco meter on the dash.

Huntrz,

Here's my 50 cents worth on getting the best you can out of your Jeep:

-tires infalted to spec PSI
-change your route to have less stop and gos or bumper to bumper traffic. I leave a few minutes earliler to work to avoid this.
-100 KP/h = 1800 RPMs for me with 3:73's and the stock 32" dulers. (which are NOT a M/T so roll resistance is better)
-Skinny peddel is the biggest factor, go easy, don't hammer it....visualize there's a egg between your foot and the peddel and you can't break it
-when safe to do so I coast down big hills, it becomes a game see how far you can go each time.
-I always have the Eco meter up on the dash, and reset it prior to leaving....and I DRIVE BY IT...it's prety good and gives you an indication were you are at....but it out just slightly when I compare my calculated MPG. BUT at least the impact of drivning can be seen on your dash as you go.

Good luck!!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

JKU averaging 16.8 from home to work (city+highway) but today I tried driving doorless and windowless... I couldn't believe my eyes... 21.9! I knew it would improve, but I didn't imagine it would jump up to the 20's ... Guess I'll be commuting doorless till it gets cold.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by huntrz
I'm in your boat. I have 33's with 3.71 gears and that is about what I get on MPG 12/18. I saw a significant drop, 14/20, from my old stock SRA's. The size, tread, and weight of the tires seem to have made a huge difference, more than I thought.

My speedo is off by a mile, not sure if getting that corrected and possibly resetting the computer (unhooking the battery), will help, thought it might.

On the flip side, I forget about it everytime I look at the Jeep, the tires make a huge difference in how it looks!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I thought the title was How many gallons per mile in your JK?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

My best tank and what I've averaged over my last few tanks is 20.5mpg.
I will say that my daily commute is "ideal" for max mpg though. With my mods below but running my stock Sahara 18's and skins I drive 1/2 an hour to work (approx. 21 miles) and it is in light to no traffic and almost all 55 mph highway speed limit. I have a short burst of 65 mph highway and at the end about 10min of empty street, in town driving with 2 stops. I set the cruise whenever possible at about 5 over the speed limit. I'm off the gas and in neutral fairly early befor corners or stops but so soon as to disrupt traffic. My drive home is more traffic heavy and I seem to hit more of the red lights so that hurts it a bit.

I visit the same pump at the same gas station every Friday and 20.5 is calculated. Computer says I'm getting about 21.5 - 22. I've hit 305 miles before my low fuel light has come on.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 09-07-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: How many miles per gallon in your JK?