Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How many have clutch problems?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my clutch at 35k miles. This seems low to me -- I had an Acura that I drove for 140k miles and never needed a new clutch -- but I think a lot of it has to do with slipping it slightly while off road and crawling over things.

I had a shop do it, since I'm leaving on a long trip on Friday and didn't have time to do it myself before then. This is in CA (San Jose area) and they charged me $460 for labor. I got all the parts myself, and they were probably another $250 or so for the disc, plate, bearings, and fluids.

My clutch was not slipping, but was engaging very high in the pedal travel, and I didn't want to risk it. My throw-out bearing was making a lot of noise. The brand new throw-out bearing that they replaced it with is making relatively the same amount of noise. Oh well.

Like others mentioned, the new clutch engages very close to the floor, and since it engages low, the pedal feels "softer" for most of its travel (post-engagement). I believe this is normal, given my understanding of how all this stuff works.

One thing to keep an eye out for -- a company called Centerforce is supposedly right on the verge of shipping a few upgraded clutch options for the JK application. I wanted to go this route, but due to the aforementioned long trip, decided to suck it up and just do an OEM replacement this time.

Not sure if you'd call these "issues," aside from the noisy throw-out bearing and the short lifespan, but this has been my experience.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default centerforce daul friction clutch

I installed one over the weekend super smooth with soft pedal...and no noise at all . YAHOO I only had 17000 miles on it and throw out brearing was shot and disk springs were noisy
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No issues at 16k miles and I'm pretty damn hard on it.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

My clutch went completely a few days ago (at about 45,000 miles) during an aggressive shift. Got the clutch assembly replaced and am back in my Jeep today BUT...

as others have posted, my new clutch just *feels* weird. It engages lower to the floor and also feels lighter. They said they used OEM parts.

So what is the deal with that???
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK
My clutch went completely a few days ago (at about 45,000 miles) during an aggressive shift. Got the clutch assembly replaced and am back in my Jeep today BUT...

as others have posted, my new clutch just *feels* weird. It engages lower to the floor and also feels lighter. They said they used OEM parts.

So what is the deal with that???
Give it some time -- mine only felt weird for a little while after I replaced it, after a day or so it was back to feeling "normal" again.

I also now think that it was in my head that it was disengaging closer to the top of the pedal stroke in the first place -- it seems like there is some auto-adjustment mechanism in play, it's just not instantaneous like I would have expected

Quick Reply: How many have clutch problems?