Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: How long do you warm up your Jeep for?
Warm up? It's a waste of gas!!
64.95%
5 mins
25.77%
10 mins
8.25%
15 mins
1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you warm up your Jeep before you drive it? (If you even warm it up)

Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboXpress
seems as though the consensus is that the Jeep doesn't need to be babied
LOL Nope but I do!!

I need it to warm up a bit so *I* am warm.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shellikins
Yeah, me too.

Part of the reason I warm it up is for my own comfort. I can't stand the cold and I don't tolerate it well.

I REEEEALLY need to move out of MA! LOL
I was thinking the same thing (lol) They have this thing it's called the sun belt..it's warm there! I'm just kidding with you
If there's frost or snow I let it go for 4-5 minutes. In spring, summer and fall the oil has enough viscosity to provide protection so I don't feel like I need to let it go at all -maybe a minute on a cold morning.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The most warm-up I do (even at -30*F) is at the end of the driveway waiting for traffic. Then I take it easy until the engine and tranny temps start to climb, usually in less than a mile. This JK warms up faster than any vehicle I have owned.

These quotes are the ones that are most correct:

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Generally I don't warm up. Not only is it a waste of fuel, but I believe the concept that more engine wear occurs at cold engine temps, so a prolonged warm-up is counter productive compared to getting up to temp faster by driving it. Haven't seen empiricle data to back the whole idea up, but seems logical. That said, in extreme cold I will give it a couple minutes to get things circulating a little.
Originally Posted by JulianK
I've been told that with today's high(er) tech motor oils, they start circulating immediately so you don't need to warm it up more than a few seconds.
Originally Posted by FinallyJO
In the morning my wait time is only as long as it takes to put on my seatbelt, but I have the engine blcok heater so the oil is already warm. After work when the oil is ice cold, after I start it I wait for the dasboard lights to go out (enough time for the engine oil to get up to pressue) and the satellite radio to find the station and then off I go.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi

I let it sit, only if its cold out just until the idle drops to normal. Then I go. The engine does heat up quickly once moving.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I let it sit, only if its cold out just until the idle drops to normal. Then I go. The engine does heat up quickly once moving.
I have noticed it idles down a lot quicker than engines of times past. Engines used to have chokes and fast idle cams. They would stay on fast idle until you moved the throttle (kicked it down), unless it had a manual choke.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a pole on how long it takes for it to cool down! Takes that A/C a lot longer to cool you down than it takes the heater to throw out some BTUs!

OK. I live in AZ. I really can't say how long it takes for the heater to kick out heat because I haven't used it much. I do know the A/C kicks even with the top off! Spoiled to the core.

I don't worry about getting the engine too warm - just enough to where the idle slows down a bit and all of the warning lights are off.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biglynny
I was thinking the same thing (lol) They have this thing it's called the sun belt..it's warm there! I'm just kidding with you
If there's frost or snow I let it go for 4-5 minutes. In spring, summer and fall the oil has enough viscosity to provide protection so I don't feel like I need to let it go at all -maybe a minute on a cold morning.
LOL It's all good.

I've lived in both AZ and FL, but MA is home.

Now that my family here is pretty much gone now, I am considering a move back to FL.

I only warm it up in the winter... I get in and go in the fall/summer/spring... whenever the weather is above 45-50.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

I really don't let mine warm up unless i can't see though the windshield. then i let it warn up enough to make a spot clear enough that i can see, then i drive on.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Warming up an engine for more than a minute or so is overkill regardless of the temperature because at idle the oil pressure is much lower than when the engine has a load on it. All modern IC engines have hydrodynamic bearings which means complete lubrication occurs under normal operating conditions when the oil pressure is significant enough to "float" the journals. Basically the crankshaft and connecting rod journals will be riding on a complete film of oil, as opposed to idle conditions with no load where lubrication is insufficient. Plus at idle the engine is very inefficient and in most cases combustion is incomplete, so get out there and drive that JK. You will be doing your motor a service by not overidling it.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no need for a warmup anymore. Only reason there used to be was because of picky ass carburetors. It takes heat to make a carburetor actually work right. Modern fuel injection has eliminated the need for a warmup.

Quick Reply: How long do you warm up your Jeep before you drive it? (If you even warm it up)