Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: How long do you warm up your Jeep for?
Warm up? It's a waste of gas!!
64.95%
5 mins
25.77%
10 mins
8.25%
15 mins
1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you warm up your Jeep before you drive it? (If you even warm it up)

Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you warm up your Jeep before you drive it? (If you even warm it up)

Just curious how long you warm up your Jeep before you start to drive it in the morning? I usually let it warm up for about 5 mins before I head out. Having a remote start is a very nice feature.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on how cold it is. When it's -20 or colder, I tend to allow at least 10 minutes.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

in extreme cases ill let her sit for a few min or so but b/c we all have those Nuclear powered heaters i just jump in and go and i know that once ive driven for a min or so im ready to start melting my skin off whit those things
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let it warm up about 10 minutes or so, depending on the temp.

I LOVE my remote start... I don't know how I lived in New England for so long without one! LOL.

My guess is, the people who said "warming up is a waste of gas", don't live in cold weather climates! LOL. Isn't it bad to just get in and go when it's cold out? I know it isn't good to idle for long, either...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shellikins
I let it warm up about 10 minutes or so, depending on the temp.

I LOVE my remote start... I don't know how I lived in New England for so long without one! LOL.

My guess is, the people who said "warming up is a waste of gas", don't live in cold weather climates! LOL. Isn't it bad to just get in and go when it's cold out? I know it isn't good to idle for long, either...

I live in the Northeast as well and my thoughts on warming up the Jeep is because engine oil is made to protect your engine under hot temps not cold. Therefore, there's less protection on engine parts when the oil is cold. Not saying this is fact or truth because I know quite a few people that don't warm up their cars/trucks and some seem fine, but it's my reasoning and gives me peace of mind.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Jedi

Im curious to know. I have heard people say its bad to not let it warm up when its cold out and others say idling is worse than just driving off.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Im curious to know. I have heard people say its bad to not let it warm up when its cold out and others say idling is worse than just driving off.
Yeah, me too.

Part of the reason I warm it up is for my own comfort. I can't stand the cold and I don't tolerate it well.

I REEEEALLY need to move out of MA! LOL
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Sometimes when I leave work to come home it gets down in the low 50's, I will let it run for 20 seconds or so before I take off in it.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I just start and go too. Of course, the coldest it gets here is nowhere near what the OP has to deal with. I find my JK's heater is blowing hot air about 5 min after I have started driving.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
JK Junkie

I voted 5 minutes since you don't have a time thats less then that.

In real live. I would wait for the rpms to go down and then take off. no matter what temp it is out side! -20 or 100 i would wait for it to go down

Quick Reply: How long do you warm up your Jeep before you drive it? (If you even warm it up)