Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nothing ! Heck, I can almost take it off by myself. My wife just assist in balancing the front of it while I lift it off from underneith. I would like a soft top too.....maybe someday?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I saw this thread and was about to answer...piece of cake, then I noticed that I am the OP from over a year ago.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
I saw this thread and was about to answer...piece of cake, then I noticed that I am the OP from over a year ago.
Yea, I think it's funny how OLD threads seem to re-surface after SOOOOO long!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

It is also amusing on how your knowledge changes as the time goes by. When I originally posted that I was bone stock.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Asking my wife to help the first time I took the top off my 4D was a VERY bad idea. She dropped her side and I got a nasty gash in the bottom of the top and a wicked chip on top edge of the tailgate.

Ever since, I've picked it up myself by sitting in the cargo area, raising my arms straight over my head, palms flat near the center of mass, cheek walking to the edge, then standing up and carrying it to where I want and crouching down to place it. (I carry it to a couple 2x6s at shoulder level when at home, but I've taken it off away from home.) Of course, it helps to be a corn-fed Indiana farm boy with a 78"+ wingspan!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

A few years ago, I had a 79 Bronco with 38s. I had just picked it up from the body shop (with a complete new paint job). I was really anxious to remove the hardtop for the soft top tonneau and asked my wife for help. I figured she could handle it, boy was I wrong! She dropped her side and put a foot long scratch down the fresh paint. I could have cried! I was wrong to ask her to help in hindsight. Live and learn, get help.

I'd love to get a hoist, but I've got no room in the garage. I don't want to store it outdoors. I love the front panels! The soft top is still in the back even. It sucks with no room, but I've got a truck.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

two people and about five minutes. Just took my top off today!!! (damn I need a tan! )

Quick Reply: How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?