Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810

If I use the hoist a top, can it be lowered to the ground where I could move it somewhere else? Or is it a setup whree when it is off, it remains lifted?
That just depends on how long the straps you use are.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
I have a garage but do not have the room in the garage to store the top.

If I use the hoist a top, can it be lowered to the ground where I could move it somewhere else? Or is it a setup whree when it is off, it remains lifted?

Also, how difficult is the installation of the hoist a top? I have read the directions online and it seems pretty advanced to install.
As a matter of safety they do not recommend storing the top by keeping it raised. It was easy and I'm not an engineer. You just need to make sure the eye hooks are secured properly. A large eye hook in the ceiling (in a beam of course). One hook in the rear wall (to a stud) to clip the come-along too. I bought an additional length of chain because of the height of my garage plus a connector from Home Depot to attach to the existing cable. The come-along winches the top up and down. A pulley is attached to the roof eye hook and the come-along has a steel cable that hooks to the bracket that hold the top. I got a couple of carpeted furniture dollies that I rest the top on to wheel it to the back of the garage. It's stored like it sits. Don't rest the top on it's side or back.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

I went through this exact scenario yesterday. I'm fairly athletic (though not a huge guy) at 36, but my wife is 5'2". I could support the fundamental weight of the hard top, but it was too awkward for the two of us to remove, since she would need to share the burden. I knew we'd be risking a dropped hardtop, just like the previous posters said.

Due to the way that the weight is distributed, I think you need at least (2) strong men or (3) average people -- or the hoist.

Last edited by Scott99999; 10-22-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took the top off by myself one and almost dropped it the first time and scratched the paint a bit. That was my main motivation for getting the hoist.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wow

my TJ top was easy to remove until the 5.5" lift + 35" tires, now its um... higher?

i can't believe NO ONE made a 'getting it on / off' joke... shame
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Made my hoist a top out of wood and purchased a winch from harbor freight. Total cost $75. Works great and only takes me 10 minutes to tak the top off.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is 5'3" and fairly atheltic. We have no issues removing my hardtop and reinstalling it. We did it 7 or 8 times before I built a rack to make storage easier. I never gave it a second thought......
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Made my hoist a top out of wood and purchased a winch from harbor freight. Total cost $75. Works great and only takes me 10 minutes to tak the top off.

Got any pics for ideas?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife 5'2" (and absolutely no upper body strength) helped me once. That was too much for me. I had the neighbors help me a few times, but didn't want to be a pain in the ass about it either. It's not heavy, just awkward having to lift the top to slide it off.

I made the rack out of 2X4s, bolts and straps you get at Home Depot. It takes me about 20 minutes now to take it off. Nice and easy and cheap. I wish I could give credit to whose idea I ran with, but it was too long ago.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

My gaurage is a mess, but I will take a picture for you. One thing I would recommend is reinforcing the ceilling. You will understand this better once I show you the pics.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?