Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?

I have a JK 4 door on order right now.

I currently have only the hard top on the vehcile because I do a lot of highway driving. I figure that the hardtop is better for that and when I want the top off we can simply just take it off.

I have plans to buy the sunrider, windjanmmer and deck cover for days that we need coverage without the hardtop on.

My question is this... how hard is it (physically) to remove the hard top? My wife is 5'4" and it will be the two of us getting it on and off.

What has been your expierence with this and do you have any tips?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

It won't be a picnic, I'll tell you that. With two people. and one being smaller such as your wife your gonna have some trouble as I did. I tried with 2 people one of which was a smaller guy, we ended up dropping it on the side of my jeep, and I have some nasty scratches to show for it. I reccommend at least 2 strong guys, or three people to do it safely not only for yourselfs but the jeeps.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a garage then try "Hoist-a-Top™". I have one for my TJ and will be getting a version for my JK eventually. One person removal. If you don't have a garage and plan on storing your top outside. It's fairly easy to remove but her arm length may make it a bit awkward. My wife is about the same height and she helped me once before the I got the hoist/winch. It wasn't easy for her.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Generally it takes two people for me to get it off. I am not a big girl, but I am strong, and with the help of my brother, dad OR some other guy it comes off pretty easy. I just set it in my front yard grass! But it is a bit akward and heavy.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Here's some food for thought: An acquaintance from Scouting I saw this weekend and his son were removing their hardtop a few weeks ago. They accidentally broke the rear glass. $850 for the new piece of glass.

My wife was 5'4" (she passed away a few years ago). I'd have never asked her to help me remove the top--perhaps yours is stronger. However, having said that, my 17-year old son and I routinely remove the top with no real problems. But, it's really much, much easier with three folks.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front panels are easy to remove. The back... eh, not so much. You need 2 people because it is heavy and bulky, and you need a place to store it. My girlfriend isn't strong enough to help and I don't really have a place to store it anyway, so mine will likely never come off. The front panels will come off a lot, but the back probably never will.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Indy gave me some great advice: a good alternative to a hoist system in a garage. Its a shelf he built with some carpet, 2x4's, and 2x6's:

I built one exactly like his in my friends backyard. I just back up to it, hop in the back, and slide the top on and off. Best part is I can do it by myself now, I no longer need help to remove it or put it back on.

If you're always going to have a helping hand around its actually not that difficult to remove (as long as you're not walking it anywhere). My mother (who is 5' 4") and myself removed and put it back on no problem.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do a search on this site for "hard top removal" or "hard top storage" and you'll find at least one great idea (most with photos and instructions) for all scenarios i.e. removing it alone, removing it with two people, outdoor storage, garage storage with hand winch, garage storage with electric winch, garage storage with 4 straps and some 2x4's, etc. etc...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Lucas718
The front panels will come off a lot, but the back probably never will.
Thats a shame man. The Flame Red looks pretty sick with the top off
Old 10-22-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a garage but do not have the room in the garage to store the top.

If I use the hoist a top, can it be lowered to the ground where I could move it somewhere else? Or is it a setup whree when it is off, it remains lifted?

Also, how difficult is the installation of the hoist a top? I have read the directions online and it seems pretty advanced to install.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to remove the hartops on a 4 door?