Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

how do you guys afford it?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep thats why I bought an X. There was no way I was going to spend over $20K on a Jeep that is going to get beat up on a trail. I probably should have gone for a used one, but in '07 there weren't many on the market. My Jeep is almost paid off and the warranty is almost over so now I can start doing the custom thing. I think it all depends on how you plan to use your Jeep.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default patience and watching the internet for genuine deals...

I bought a new 2008 Unlimited X ($27.4K sticker, S package + a few extras) in January 2009 from a very small town dealership. The vehicle had been sitting on their lot since October 2008 and I paid $20K US. I had been watching from the sidelines for almost a year, checking the web for deals, and saving for two plus years (so I paid cash). Now I am mod'ing things slowly as my checkbook and my wife will allow me...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a sugar daddy.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

This is how I could afford it:
Back in September '87, I bought a new XJ; $388/month. When it was paid off, I kept putting half that amount in a separate bank account for my next purchase. Well, I owned the XJ for a long time.
It adds up over time, and eliminates monthly payments on the next new vehicle. Much less expensive in the long run. Instead of paying interest on the new vehicle, I was being paid interest over all those years.
One might ask. "Who can afford to do that?" It seemed to me $194/month was going to be a lot more affordable than the $700/month it would have cost me now. Plus, that little nest egg was there for an emergency if needed.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

I started stashing a little away each month when the TJ Rubicon first came out. In August 08 I placed my order for my 2009 2dr Rubicon and wrote a check for it.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
For one thing, we don't live in Canada. Things are cheaper in the US.
In Canada there is little to no movement on the price of a brand new vehicle from a dealers lot, most pay sticker for our new vehicles and if its a mildly popular seller thats already on the lot you can be sure theres a good possibility you're going to pay a mark up. Everything is cheaper in the U.S than it is here, even if it's made here it's still cheaper there, thats just how it is It doesnt help that taxes are sky high in most provinces either.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Adam3612
In Canada there is little to no movement on the price of a brand new vehicle from a dealers lot, most pay sticker for our new vehicles and if its a mildly popular seller thats already on the lot you can be sure theres a good possibility you're going to pay a mark up. Everything is cheaper in the U.S than it is here, even if it's made here it's still cheaper there, thats just how it is It doesnt help that taxes are sky high in most provinces either.

Canada...good luck getting any incentives/rebates on Wranglers....I had a B with an ITCH getting the dealerships to drop down in price on my 08 Sahara...Rubicons were crazy at the time...very few out on the dealer lots and basically they marked another $2-5K onto the price of a Ruby. The TAXES suck...12% in BC...worse down EAST! If you are a lucky AB boy...5%!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bacon
I looked at two 2010 Rubi's today. 34K and 39K!!! I have a good paying job, but I just don't know how anybody can afford spending 500-700 dollars a month on a Jeep! how do you guys do it? even used JK Rubi's are still in the mid 20's around here.
Got my used 2008 Rubicon for 20 grand private sale here in New Brunswick - shop around or rob a few banks
Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam3612
I pretty much said that in a nutshell.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bacon
I looked at two 2010 Rubi's today. 34K and 39K!!! I have a good paying job, but I just don't know how anybody can afford spending 500-700 dollars a month on a Jeep! how do you guys do it? even used JK Rubi's are still in the mid 20's around here.
Let the government buy you a jeep..go work in Iraq for a year as a contractor..pay cash for a Rubi. Thank you Mr. Bush!

Quick Reply: how do you guys afford it?