Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to decide what mods in what order?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by torpex77

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Lots of good stuff here - although I don't know if I'm any closer to making up my mind.

I'm probably leaning toward lift, sliders first.

I doubt I'll wheel much by myself initially, so I can probably let the winch slide a little bit. But if I lift first, won't putting a heavy bumper and winch on affect that? Should I consider that I will eventually be putting some weight on there, or does it matter?

It depends on what lift you go with and what you desired affect is. If you know you will eventually have a new bumper and winch, then it has always been my opinion to build right the first time. Gets expensive to redo!!

I know Teraflex has spacers to bring the front up..
Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sum_Devl
I would look into the rock rails 1st, I really like the ones LoD is starting to produce.
Just looked that those. Those look really nice, almost exactly what I'm looking for. I"ll have to keep watching for when the are available.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

I like the looks of the LoD products.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just looked that those. Those look really nice, almost exactly what I'm looking for. I"ll have to keep watching for when the are available.
Ya, I like them alot. My wife is asking, if I get a set to try and get something she can still use as a step. Plus from what I hear on this forum LoD makes some quality products. I know sixt7gt350 already has a pair on his jeep, but he went to their shop and got his. You should call them, I don't think you are to far from their shop, maybe they can hook you up.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya, I like them alot. My wife is asking, if I get a set to try and get something she can still use as a step. Plus from what I hear on this forum LoD makes some quality products. I know sixt7gt350 already has a pair on his jeep, but he went to their shop and got his. You should call them, I don't think you are to far from their shop, maybe they can hook you up.
I didn't realize they were that close. Thanks! That's only about 1.5 hours from me. I'll definitely have to contact them when I'm ready.

The mid-width bumper looks pretty good, too.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't realize they were that close. Thanks! That's only about 1.5 hours from me. I'll definitely have to contact them when I'm ready.

The mid-width bumper looks pretty good, too.
I didn't either till sixt7gt350 mentioned picking his up from their shop and I noticed were he was from.

I really like their stubby with the stinger on it. I am waiting to see if they are going to offer it to the public. Here is a pic of it on the Rough Country Jeep.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

The LOD stubby has moved up the list tp the #1 looking bumper in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really like their stubby with the stinger on it.
I don't like the stringer look, and I probably won't wheel hard enough to need it.

I like their mid-width though.

I like the shrockworks mid-width as well.

It might come down to those two.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be out hitting the rocks ASAP, I'd find a pair of rubicon rails someone took off first. Those plastic steps would be toast if I had left them on my JK.

Then a small lift (preferably springs and not pucks if you want to get flex on the trail).

Then some better tires (if you can find some rubi take-off tires/wheels, you could do this before the lift, but if you want bigger meats you will need the lift first)

Depending on how talented you are, you could actually cut your stock bumper and make a winch fit in it, but I decided that the RR XHD front bumper was cheap enough that it wasn't worth the time and effort to cut the plastic bumper when I knew I'd throw it away eventually anyway...

Of course, once you get all of this done there are plenty of other ways to drop money. Smart money would be to get some kind of skid to protect the oil pain. If you end up puncturing that thing, you will spend as much money on a replacement as you would on a good skid. For further ways of spending money, see my sig line... and then my wish list...
That's about the order I was thinking.

rails
lift
bumper
tires

I'll probably have to wait until I need new tires to get rid of the stock ones. Would be easier for my wife to approve...

Didn't think about oil pan. I add that to my list of things to buy eventually.

Quick Reply: How to decide what mods in what order?