Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to decide what mods in what order?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to decide what mods in what order?

Folks,

I've had my 4 door Sahara for about 6 months now.

The only think I've really done to it is add OR-Fab rock doors to the rear.

I haven't had it off-road yet - seems every weekend brings some sort of conflict that prevents me from getting out. But I *will* get it off road sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

So, I've got this big wish list of things I want, or think I want:

A small (2" ?) lift.
Rock rails.
Front bumper
Winch?
33"s and new rims.
Line-x the tub.
Seat covers.

How do I decide what to get, or more significantly what to get first?

This is my daily driver. I'll probably only get it off-road maybe 6 or so times a year, once I get in the groove. That's why I'm thinking of a small lift. I really don't want to get into new gears, driveshafts, etc. The rock-rails I think would be good to help it from getting banged up off-road when I do go.

Some things, like line-x and seat covers, don't matter for off-road, but will make things easier during the summer when I want to keep the doors off as much as possible.

I don't really want to get the wheels and tires until the current ones need replaced. That will be at least a year.

I'm not sure I have a specific question at this point. I'm just looking for advice.

Help!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

I've always started with a lift
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to be out hitting the rocks ASAP, I'd find a pair of rubicon rails someone took off first. Those plastic steps would be toast if I had left them on my JK.

Then a small lift (preferably springs and not pucks if you want to get flex on the trail).

Then some better tires (if you can find some rubi take-off tires/wheels, you could do this before the lift, but if you want bigger meats you will need the lift first)

Depending on how talented you are, you could actually cut your stock bumper and make a winch fit in it, but I decided that the RR XHD front bumper was cheap enough that it wasn't worth the time and effort to cut the plastic bumper when I knew I'd throw it away eventually anyway...

Of course, once you get all of this done there are plenty of other ways to drop money. Smart money would be to get some kind of skid to protect the oil pain. If you end up puncturing that thing, you will spend as much money on a replacement as you would on a good skid. For further ways of spending money, see my sig line... and then my wish list...
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2

I would look into the rock rails 1st, I really like the ones LoD is starting to produce.

Then the lift, I personally have the 2.5 TeraFlex lift w/adapters.

After that I would check into the tires (and wheels if you want them.)

The winch would be my next purchase, there are actually a couple of companies that make winch mount plates (Rough Country and Warn) if you don't want to cut into your stock bumper. That way if you go out wheeling by yourself you can get out of pinch if you need.

From there the skies the limit, good luck!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default First mod

I'm thinking winch. warn makes a winch plate for the stock bumper. I'd do the winch before anything else. It don't matter if you got stuck what size tires u got u r still stuck. Bigger tires will keep u from getting stuck as quick no doubt. 35's only got 1.5 inches of ground clearance over 32's. so it takes real big tires to make sure u don't get stuck as quickly. like 40's. u don't want 40's on your DD trust me on that one. point is if u didn't get it already u willl get stuck if u off road enough. u want to have a way out so winch and recovery gear should be your first investment. lift and tires next then skid plates and if u go rock crawling rock rails!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my seat covers before the Jeep showed up then after 2 months I added a 2" lift, 2 months after that added a new bumper and winch, then 4 months later added wheels and tires, about 5 months after that added rock sliders and an evap relocation kit.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

in 4 weeks i did
tires
wheels
2.5 spring lift
rock rails
bumper

next is winch
i like that order.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

It depends...

If you have unlimited funds -- DO IT ALL!!!!

If you don't, like me -- Get it lifted and then get some skids for underneath to protect the belly. Don't want to waste mod money on repairs.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for my build I am starting with protection (corner guards, rockers, skids, then bumpers, etc...) I didn't want to add a 37" tire to the stock carrier, and it is best to protect what your undercarriage more than adding lift.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 03-11-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: edited to delete blacklisted manufacturer
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HuskerRubi
If you have unlimited funds -- DO IT ALL!!!!

If you don't, like me -- Get it lifted and then get some skids for underneath to protect the belly. Don't want to waste mod money on repairs.
I wish I had infinite money. That would be nice. But even then it would have to go through the finance department (wife) for approval...

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Lots of good stuff here - although I don't know if I'm any closer to making up my mind.

I'm probably leaning toward lift, sliders first.

I doubt I'll wheel much by myself initially, so I can probably let the winch slide a little bit. But if I lift first, won't putting a heavy bumper and winch on affect that? Should I consider that I will eventually be putting some weight on there, or does it matter?

Quick Reply: How to decide what mods in what order?