Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How accurate is the inventory search?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How accurate is the inventory search?

I did a search to see if anything has changed as far as availability anywhere near me.

According to a 250 mile search of 5-star dealers there is nothing to be found. How accurate is the information on Jeep's page?

Beel
Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Default A broken record?

Hey Beel-
Sorry if I mentioned this before- I don't want to sound like a broken record- There's a Black Rubicon hardtop at Town & Country Jeep in North Seattle. I know it's further than 250 miles from Bozeman but just thought I'd mention it. It's odd because this particular rig has been there a couple of weeks and it should've been snapped up by now.
Good Luck
Lynn

Last edited by biglynny; 12-04-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The inventory search is pretty much worthless unless you are looking for a 4x2 JK or basically anything that's been sitting around awhile.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I've found the inventory search to be very accurate for the dealers that are listed: when I was looking I called dealers on a few occasions (always ask to talk to "internet sales") gave stock number when available, and they always had the jeep on the lot. I was able to get very good offers by telling them that I had an order in already with another dealer. Happened to be true in my case, but it occurred to me it may be a good bargaining strategy even if it weren't.

Every week or so while I was waiting I would do a 500-mile radius search looking for a Jeep that matched one I had on order, I wound up finding on just last week and snapped it up -- so it can happen -- don't give up!

One thing that I noticed: there are a ton of Jeep dealerships in my area that are not listed in the search results, but I found that most of them have their own web sites with inventory listings (many were not updated regularly though). Good luck and happy hunting...
Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the input.

Originally Posted by biglynny
Hey Beel-
Sorry if I mentioned this before- I don't want to sound like a broken record- There's a Black Rubicon hardtop at Town & Country Jeep in North Seattle. I know it's further than 250 miles from Bozeman but just thought I'd mention it. It's odd because this particular rig has been there a couple of weeks and it should've been snapped up by now.
Good Luck
Lynn
Thank you for the information. You did mention this before and I should have been clearer in my reply. I actually do a very wide search and I am willing to travel if the right situation came up. Just last night I checked Seattle, Phoenix, So. Cal, and Spokane. In the past, I’ve searched just about every major city on the west coast and I am amazed at the complete lack of Rubicons. I did see the Jeep you mentioned.

Unfortunately, a couple things we don’t want to compromise on are certain colors and the transmission. I drive a black Jetta, it looks great when it is cleaned up but I don’t want another black vehicle. I also want a 6-speed and the few Rubicons I’ve come across are often automatics, not always but often.

I understand that if I am going to be picky, then I have to be patient. My problem is the dealer I went through has been yanking me around and I’m getting frustrated with it. I try to call my salesman and he quit returning my calls. This is the same salesman that told me the order was placed with a dealer allocation, but I’ve since learned that if that was the case I would have gone right to D status. So, he lied to me about that. I went to his partner and he says he’ll look into things but I have to call him back, he doesn’t get back to me.

Last Thursday I called Jeep on their (800) line and the representative sort of gave me a hard time and said, “You are in BG status, just like every other time you’ve called. You are going to remain in BG status until your dealer contacts us. There is a materials problem and until they call us and straighten it out you will remain in BG status, no matter how many times you call us back.” Tell me there was a problem with the order all along and I could have gone to at least a D status if they had been on top of things. I’m talking a problem unique to mine, not the same things plaguing all of us.

At this point, I didn’t bother calling the salesmen, I asked for their manager who is the guy that places the orders with Jeep. He was very surprised to hear about this and said he would look into right away. He didn’t fill me with confidence however when he had to ask me for the (800) to contact Jeep. This was early afternoon last Thursday, I still haven’t heard from him. I called this morning but he’s out of the office until late this afternoon.

I hope you can see my frustration. If there is a problem with the order beyond the basic materials hold then I expect them to be on top of it. They don’t appear to be on top of anything and they won’t get back to me to let me know they have no new information.

I can cancel my order and find another dealer to order through, but then I go to the bottom of the list and forget about seeing anything until March. I can try to search and hope something new has hit the street then decide how much I’m willing to compromise my order. I can just settle for the first Rubicon I find regardless of color or options. None of these are great options.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded ranting folks. I’m just very frustrated by this entire thing. I understand that many of us are in the same boat and waiting for something to change in Toledo. It’s tough when you have a dealer that is unresponsive and DC is telling you, your order is screwed up and the dealer needs to fix it.

Well, thanks again for the information and the replies. I guess I’ll just keep looking.

Beel

Last edited by Beel_MT; 12-05-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

I stopped by the local dealership today just to see what they had in stock...

Counted 15 New JK's.. about 10, 2 doors and 5, 4 doors.. More than likely all 4x4. I have not seen a 2x4 in this area yet...

Freedom Jeep
Lexington KY
Old 12-06-2006, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Default I see why you're ticked

I see why youre ticked. It seems like the dog is chasing it's tail. One of the threads I read had a link to a biz paper out of Toledo and it said there were 59,000 Wranglers on back order. 59,000! and they produce something like 210 a day from that plant. Good luck as I'm sure it's frustrating.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed that when on the jeep site looking at inventory of JK's you can not view any window stickers to see what options they are equipped with. Works fine on liberty's and everything else.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blacklock
I noticed that when on the jeep site looking at inventory of JK's you can not view any window stickers to see what options they are equipped with. Works fine on liberty's and everything else.

I have got it to work fine on probably 2 out 3 that I have looked at. What I did notice is that if a window sticker did not work from a dealer, if they had more than one JK, none of them worked from that dealer. Which might point to it being something the dealer has disabled, or not configured right maybe.

I too have started the inventory search....went through last night anything within 500 miles, and came up with 5 Rubicon Unlimited. 3 that were about as bone stock as you could get (all with soft top only) and 2 that were fairly loaded. Both were black (not my first color choice), both came with Sirius (something that I can say I would likely never use), and neither came with the side airbags (something I want). If either of them had the airbags, I could probably forgo it being black, and having the Sirius on it, but not like adding the side airbags after the fact is easy, if even possible.

Last edited by Area-51; 12-06-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Area-51
Both were black (not my first color choice), both came with Sirius (something that I can say I would likely never use),

I thought that I would never use sat. radio either but now that I have it I can not drive with out it. I love it and hate regular radio now. If I am in a car with out sat. radio I listen to cd's

Quick Reply: How accurate is the inventory search?