Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hornblaster Train Horns - anyone have one?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Now, stupid question.... With the tank in one location, the compressor in another, and the horns in yet another....is there enough wire/hose to accomodate multiple locations? Plus, I'm not sure if I heard right but if you mount the compressor under the tub, won't it get all the debris from the road and stuff and eventually seize the compressor?
The compressor and tank came in one kit... the Viair Constant Duty kit and had plenty of air hose. The horns were bought separate straight from Hornblasters and I was able to plumb the air hoses with about three feet left.

In regards to the compressor succumbing to seizure from debris and water, according to the Viair, their compressors are, and don't quote me quoting them, water proof in the sense that all parts are sealed. Maybe the rep will chime in if we mention Viair enough??
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had that bug as well. I wouldn't ever use it to scare pedestrians though, only those drivers that cut in font of me or do something dangerous in traffic.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright folks. Here is a video comparison between the stock horn and the Hornblasters Shocker XL.

I didn't shoot it in a very open space so the Hornblasters are a bit echoed, but you should get the idea.

http://youtu.be/Rqy0cI19G6A

Let me know what you think
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

Mark my words, I will have one in less than a month...haha. How hard was the install? How long did it take? Sorry for all the questions...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
Alright folks. Here is a video comparison between the stock horn and the Hornblasters Shocker XL.

I didn't shoot it in a very open space so the Hornblasters are a bit echoed, but you should get the idea.

Haha that brings back memories! Sounds great!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Mark my words, I will have one in less than a month...haha. How hard was the install? How long did it take? Sorry for all the questions...
The sound of the horns, I feel, are a perfect match between train and loudness. I say go for it.

I did the installation in phases. The On Board Air was actually put on by a local shop, but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you could do it.

Next was making the bracket to hold the horns behind the fan. This took awhile because I wanted to get the measurements exact and not have an issue with clearance between the belt and fan shroud. Then, I used some galvanized steel from a piece I found at Home Depot. Plus a rubber mallet and bent into shape.

The horns couldn't be easier to install. They came with all the correct fittings, tubing and even teflon applied to the threads. One thing they stress in the installation is to cut the tubing at a perfect 90 degree angle. If not, you are much more likely to have leaks and not as great sound quality.

All in all, I would say if I were to do everything in one sitting it would take about 5 - 6 hours.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

HAAHAHHAHH!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SO WANT ONE NOW!!!! Your poor camara person lmao I would hate to cut you off. Thanks for sharing. I almost want that more than ACE Rockrails
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

The sound of the horns, I feel, are a perfect match between train and loudness. I say go for it.

I did the installation in phases. The On Board Air was actually put on by a local shop, but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you could do it.

Next was making the bracket to hold the horns behind the fan. This took awhile because I wanted to get the measurements exact and not have an issue with clearance between the belt and fan shroud. Then, I used some galvanized steel from a piece I found at Home Depot. Plus a rubber mallet and bent into shape.

The horns couldn't be easier to install. They came with all the correct fittings, tubing and even teflon applied to the threads. One thing they stress in the installation is to cut the tubing at a perfect 90 degree angle. If not, you are much more likely to have leaks and not as great sound quality.

All in all, I would say if I were to do everything in one sitting it would take about 5 - 6 hours.
I'll be mounting the tank and compressor under my front driver and passenger seats. I opted for the "slim" tank, its 20" long but only 4" in diameter....just about 2 gallon - this way, it can go under my front seat. The compressor is oil-less, so it can be mounted at any angle/position. Then, everything will be up-front, don't need to worry about running wires and hoses back and forth, and it will make it a lot easier.

I'll have to rig something for the horns... I see where there is room behind the fan, but need to make sure it clears all the belts, etc. Just how to make a bracket of sorts to make it work is another story.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

I just mounted my horns outside the frame rail, two on each side, facing backwards. air tank underneath the driver's seat with a big L bracket from lowe's. Valve by the transfer case kinda and compressor on inside of frame rail passenger side where the gas tank shield ends towards the front.

Quick Reply: Hornblaster Train Horns - anyone have one?